Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HF clamps

I've bought about 300 of the 6" over the last 5 years and they work very well for the price point. If we break a few a month I don't get too excited.

Blog Entries
    Definitely one of HF's diamonds in the rough. I have a few I modified as bench holddowns. As to the handles, it is the rubber that twists loose, not the handle itself but, at the price they are often on sale for and with 20% and 25% coupons falling from the sky, you will get your money's worth.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have about thirty or forty of them in different lengths --- cheap and good enough for most things. Just don't leave them on too long. The plastic cushions will leave an oily residue on your wood if left in place too long.

I have bought dozens of these for both school and my home shop. Occasionally a ham-fisted student will strip the handle off the stud, and some epoxy (or a quick piece of scrap wood with a hole in it, plus some epoxy) fixes that. Other than that, no problems.

We have about 75 of them in my shop and they get used hard every day along with Bessy and Jorgenson. Are they as good as the name brand clamp? No, but at half price or less, they are good enough for me. Only trouble we've every had is loose handles but a little 5 min epoxy and the handles don't spin. They do flex a lot on anything over about 18 inches but, if your stock is properly jointed, they are will clamp tight enough to close the joint anyway. I use a spring joint on some panels and they pull it together just fine. The plastic quick grip style isn't worth bringing into the shop but the F-style is one of HF's gems for sure.

Hey Glen,

I would like to see how you have modified them to use as bench hold downs, if it's not too much trouble.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    it is the rubber that twists loose, not the handle itself
    I've been lucky in that the cover has stayed on all of mine. The inside plastic usually strips on the few with problem. I just shoot a little epoxy in and drive them back on with a mallet. Good as new in five mins or less

I have a gagle of the 12" clamps, but this is the best clamp I got from HF. I use it more than anything else.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do or do not, there is no try.