Thread: Which Router Kit?

Question Which Router Kit?

I have 3 choices and was wondering what everyone's take on the different router kits are. I'm buying locally and realize that I could get them a little cheaper off Amazon but I'd rather support the local business for a few bucks more. All of the kits are 2-1/4 hp with a standard and plunge base, variable speed and soft start so it's more or less a straight up apples to apples comparison.

Here are my choices:

Hitatchi 179.00

Bosch: 236.00

Porter Cable (with in table height adjustment) 285.00

Do you have any of the above? Problems, quirks, kudos, etc.

Thanks,

Steve

All are good routers....buy the one you like best. The Hitachi is the quietest and lightest. The PC accepts the most std accessories. The Bosch is pretty popular and is also a fine router. I kept the Hitachi over the Bosch specifically to do dovetails...the light weight was a significant factor for that application.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Model numbers would be helpful.

All else being equal, I'd want to hold each router in my hand and work the plunge mechanism - that is - which one is most comfortable for YOU and the way you work.
    Stan

Choice #4. Get one of each.

Wayne

Bosch 1617 and MR23 both have the PC 690 base plate pattern tapped into the sub-base--so any accessory that fits the 690 will fit either of those models. I've got a pair of 1617's, and they serve well. The fixed base and "table base" (which is really the fixed base without the handles) allow for above table height changes, but i still have to reach under the table to unclamp/clamp the base.

They feel right to me, as was mentioned--do what feels right to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

get the bosch the parts for them are a lot cheaper a speed control for a bosch is half the price of a porter cable

I've commented on the PCs height adjustment mech before. I have two of these. Both would slip while routing. When I adjusted them to avoid slipping the locking mechanism fail in short time. Both of mine failed in this same manner. I also have the Bosch. It's become my favorite small router. It's smoother and feels more powerful than my PCs or Dewalts.

I wouldn't base your decision on under table height adjustment. None of them are very good. If you want one for a router table get the one with the most ponies and buy a lift. I used my Bosch 1617 with the under table adjustment and it worked but it was a PITA IMHO. Now I have a dedicated table with a PC 3.25 hp router in it and it blows away the under the table adjustment stuff you can do with the OEM router kits. I use my Bosch for non table related routing and it still rocks and i love it especially the plunge base just fits my hands right and works intuitively.