Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Long Before it is Safe

How Long Before it is Safe

How long after applying a varnish type finish is it safe to bring it into a living space? I recently finished an entertainment center with Waterlox. Having brought it into the living room. I am still getting a headache and smelling that kerosene type of smell when using my gas stove top. So how long should you wait?

James

James
    Waterlox is an excellent finish but as you discovered it is fairly high in voc's .(depending on the version used)
    Depending on the size of your living space and how much transfer of air you have with the outside I would guess it is going to take a week for the smell to diminish since this is February in New England. I would sacrifice some home fuel oil (heat) for some fresh air in your home. Open up all the doors and windows long enough the let some of the gasses escape. Ask me how I know this !

why not turn a fan or two blowing across the item do not forget to open a door

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your reply. I have been airing the house out a few times a day. I heat with wood so I go full bore and just open my front and back doors to the house wide open for about 10- 15 minuets. But I also discovered that this is setting off my smoke detectors. At first I thought it must be a back draft from the wood stove. Till it happened when there was no fire going. I not sure if it is the cold air hitting the detector or some sort of mix of cold air and the vapors from the curing finish. Other than that I have had the smoke detectors go off a few times even without the windows or doors open. Does anyone know if the fumes could do this. Or is it more likely my smoke detector is faulty. The open doors setting it off is definitely repeatable so I do not know what to think at this point.

James

To answer to question, with waterlox I'd figure 2-4 weeks after the last coat. Seems like it films over on application and traps stink under the resin that takes long time to escape, and until it does the finish isn't particularly hard either. Don't ever finish drawers or interior parts with that type of finish or you will be smelling stink for months or years. It kicks faster in warmer temps, but slower in higher humidity, and steady light airflow helps it cure faster in the finishing room. I too like waterlox for it's beauty and durability, but it's not a quick one.

You could put it on an unused room with the door closed and the window open. I absolutely would not willfully deal with the fumes. I've seen too much liver damage in my field.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Don't ever finish drawers or interior parts with that type of finish or you will be smelling stink for months or years. It kicks faster in warmer temps, but slower in higher humidity, and steady light airflow helps it cure faster in the finishing room. I too like waterlox for it's beauty and durability, but it's not a quick one.
    Yeah, you're absolutely right about that. I did the interior and exterior of a cherry pantry I made back around May or so last year. The outside has a little residual odor if you get your nose right up to it. But the inside still smells every time I open the doors. And I had a fan blowing on it with the doors open for about a month. It took a good month for the smell to (mostly) go away on the outside.

I will NEVER do the interior of another cabinet with Waterlox again. I love the finish but it's going to be water based poly or shellac on the inside from now on!
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Don't ever finish drawers or interior parts with that type of finish or you will be smelling stink for months or years.
    Peter
    Its funny you mention this because I made this very mistake on a coffee table project with three small drawers. Every time I opened either of the drawers it smelled like I just put the finish on them. The drawers are actually open air to the underside but it didnt matter. It was about a year later before the smell was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your reply. I have been airing the house out a few times a day. I heat with wood so I go full bore and just open my front and back doors to the house wide open for about 10- 15 minuets. But I also discovered that this is setting off my smoke detectors. At first I thought it must be a back draft from the wood stove. Till it happened when there was no fire going. I not sure if it is the cold air hitting the detector or some sort of mix of cold air and the vapors from the curing finish. Other than that I have had the smoke detectors go off a few times even without the windows or doors open. Does anyone know if the fumes could do this. Or is it more likely my smoke detector is faulty. The open doors setting it off is definitely repeatable so I do not know what to think at this point.

James
    I would call my local fire station and polite ask them to test your smoke detectors

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    I would call my local fire station and polite ask them to test your smoke detectors
    Do you take it to them? Or do they test them in place?

James

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Hawkins View Post
    Peter
    Its funny you mention this because I made this very mistake on a coffee table project with three small drawers. Every time I opened either of the drawers it smelled like I just put the finish on them. The drawers are actually open air to the underside but it didnt matter. It was about a year later before the smell was gone.

I like to think we have all made that mistake once, but rarely twice!. I know I did, even though those enclosed areas are open, drawers open and doors off, they just never seem to fully off gas. I've taken to sealing with shellac, tinting the second coat of sealer if color is an issue, and shooting water white WB lacquer over it. That takes a while to off gas fully too oddly enough, but eventually it does. I did a medicine cab in WB lacquer, let it cure open for a month, installed it......a few weeks later that WB smell was present every time a shower was taken and the humidity went up, for almost 3 months!

I find half a day is adequate with minwax.
    How do they sell something that takes weeks to clear?

You asked how long it would be before it was "safe". It would have been safe to do the finishing in your living room. The odor threshold for typical finishing solvents is orders of magnitude less than the level where they will exhibit demonstrated toxic effects. Not that long ago any interior painting/varnishing would have been solvent based and somehow humanity survived it.

I find the odor of finishes pleasant. It reminds me the project is done and I can move to another.

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Do you take it to them? Or do they test them in place?

James
    if they are power by a battery, then you could take them to the station but call them first and ask them how they test the detectors

You sir would benefit from learning about the new water based finishes available. There are quite a few now just as durable as solvent based products, just as beautiful, that have almost no odor when applied, dry in minutes instead of days, and have no headache inducing residual odor. What minimal residual odor they have is gone in a few days. There's really no reason not to join the 21st century of finishes.

John