Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whose caller ID shows up on a forwarded call?

Can you forward that number back to their number :-)

That said, the total scam artists use fake caller-id information when they call you.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    You do know that neither of those do any good, right?
    Read my second post above--it took consistency over a period of time, but it did work for us to greatly reduce the volume of telemarketer calls. The Indiana DNC list is very good, and our state AG is very good at going after violations, so joining the list here essentially ended the remaining telemarketing calls to our home. We've since moved, and never got a land line for our current home, and the few telemarketing calls on the cell phone are easily ignored, so I've never bothered to sign the cell phones up.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hagan View Post
    I've heard that on a computer generated call, if the computer detects a fax machine answering; it will delete the number from its database. It might be worth a try.
    But they simultaneously add you to all the fax lists ("get health insurance for only $9.99 a month!!!").

Back in the day when legitimate companies were allowed to make calls it might have been affected. Now its mostly scammers making the calls. Don't think breaking an extra law is going to matter one bit to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Read my second post above--it took consistency over a period of time, but it did work for us to greatly reduce the volume of telemarketer calls. The Indiana DNC list is very good, and our state AG is very good at going after violations, so joining the list here essentially ended the remaining telemarketing calls to our home. We've since moved, and never got a land line for our current home, and the few telemarketing calls on the cell phone are easily ignored, so I've never bothered to sign the cell phones up.
    The problem is that they call with different numbers. Some a spoofed so you can't track them down

And it may be a legit phone number they give, doesn't mean it's their phone number. The call locations tend to move also... once the authorities find their location, they move. Ain't technology wonderful? Doesn't even have to be from any single location!

Google the "credit card services scam"... they have more tricks than you can count and any DNC list won't help. They are even calling cell phones now.

Our number always goes to the answering machine (for screening purposes). At the beginning of the customized announcement I have the tone sequence that the phone company has for disconnected numbers, there is then a 2 -3 second pause, then the regular announcement comes on about leaving a message and phone number, etc. This has drastically cut down on both computer generated calls as well as person-generated ones.
    Rudy

45-WATT Epilog Mini-24, CorelDraw X6,
    Wacom Intuos Tablet, Flame Polisher
    George Knight DC16 Heat Press
    BJ890 Muli-Function Mug Press
    Ricoh GX e3300n printer
    Vacc-U-Press VP3030