Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordless pin nailers ?

Cordless pin nailers ?

I want to buy a 23ga nailer, but my space is really small and I don't think I can accomodate a compressor,even the very smallest ones.

The only cordless unit I can find is the Makita LXT, but its quite expensive (in Canada, close to $500 including charger), and I'm already invested in at least two other cordless systems (Milwaukee and Festool).

Are there any other options out there to consider ?

I'm a very light duty hobbyist.

I would argue that if you can't fit a compressor small enough to push pin nailer then you can't fit much wood working in either. They make them really small now, and fairly quiet versus the screamer I have for a pancake. Look at the new rohlair mini hot dog style units, almost micro. Or pay through the nose for cordless, none are ever cheap by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I would argue that if you can't fit a compressor small enough to push pin nailer then you can't fit much wood working in either.
    And you would be correct. I don't have the space for much woodworking. Everything is a dance. And that's without my 20" Inca bandsaw which is still sitting in the trunk of my car until I figure out what to do with it !

If I can't get a cordless unit, I am now looking at buying a small compressor and then maybe buying a Grex P650L or whatever my local tool store recommends. It would still work out to be less than the Makita.

They are really making some very compact trim sized air compressors, and with air you can place the compressor outside the space and run the hose in to save on space, then stow it later. The cordless nailers are heavier, slower and more expensive in every way than air powered equivalents. Grex is a fine pin nailer, you can get decent performance even cheaper in something like a hitachi. I like the cordless stuff when your on a job site with no power, or just have to shoot a few nails, or need to bang in a very small amount of trim, say on a second floor, and don't want to drag even a small compressor to the location. I've used other peoples at work but have never considered actually buying one due to cost.

5. Here's a portable alternative to using a compressor...http://www.powertank.com/products/sf...ductID/223with it you can make *any* air tool portable.Although, if you have the space outside, as someone else suggestioned above, I would get a full-sized compressor, bolt it down to a concrete pad outside under the overhang and build a closet around it - with this king of a setup you'll have real air pressure to run anything you may want in the future. and I should tell you; air tools are addictive! A few nailers, then a couple of impacts, maybe a ratchet or two, a paint gun, then shears, grinders, etc. etc. Once you got air there's no limit!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Get a small compressor if you really want to use a pin nailer. You can mount them to a wall or even ceiling if you really don't have any room. Look at the small rolair. It is seriously quiet.

I've got a Senco PC1010 compressor. It almost looks like a toy -- it is 14" long. It has plenty of power for trim work. I run a pin nailer with it, a brad nailer, and a finish nailer.
    It is quiet too. http://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010-1.../dp/B0000AQK78

Thanks everyone. I ended up buying the smallest Grex (P630) and the Rolair JC-10. I liked the Senco but the footprint wasn't really so much smaller and everything I read indicated that there would be less waiting with the Rolair, and my guy at the store said the Rolair would be a little more versatile down the road.

I haven't used them yet - I'm vacillating as to whether I ought to step up to the model (P650) that allows you to run a bunch of different length nails. The P630 can only handle 1-3/16" nails, whereas the P650 can use from 3/8 to 2" nails.

At first, I'm hoping to speed cabinet assembly by pinning my parts before screwing them together. I am naive as to what other uses there might be for 23ga nails. Should I spend the extra $ to get the more versatile nailer ? Price difference is about twice ($300 for 650 vs 150 for the P630), but only $150. Are there useful applications for skinny, longer nails ?

The 2" pins would be useful occasionally for toenailing small exterior trim pieces and certain kinds of glass stop, but honestly I find little regular use personally for a headless pin of that length. Doesn't matter how far in you go when there is no head, you are only getting so much hold. And I worry even with 18ga that long that they can follow the grain and take a turn back out of the stock unexpectedly. Much beyond 1 1/4" I'm moving to a bigger fastener anyway.

There would be no "waiting" with the Senco PC1010 and a Grex Pinner but it may be a factor with bigger guns. The most common Grex is the P635, which does 1 3/8". At that length there is a big problem with the fastener following grain and going in a completely different direction than you planned. 2" has very limited use. I would suggest you stick with what you have and put the $150 toward an 18 guage, where 2" length is not quite as extreme.

I ended up buying the smallest Grex (P630) and the Rolair JC-10. I liked the Senco but the footprint wasn't really so much smaller and everything I read indicated that there would be less waiting with the Rolair, and my guy at the store said the Rolair would be a little more versatile down the road.
    Sweet...
    The JC-10 is a 1 hp class compressor. You should be able to run any nailer except a framing nailer and/or a palm nailer.

I am naive as to what other uses there might be for 23ga nails.
    Not to worry. In a month or two, you'll wonder how you ever got a long w/out it.

Personally, I don't go over 1" with a 23 ga. because it can follow the grain too easily.
    For much the same reason, I usually limit my 18 ga to 1.25".
    For 2" and 2.5", I go with either my 16 ga or 15 ga.

For pure holding power - for things like cabinet backs & carpeting on stair treads...... you can't beat an 18 ga, 1.25" narrow crown staple.
    A lot of the cheaper (think Harbor Freight) 18 ga brad nailers shoot both brads and staples.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    The most common Grex is the P635, which does 1 3/8". At that length there is a big problem with the fastener following grain and going in a completely different direction than you planned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    |
    Personally, I don't go over 1" with a 23 ga. because it can follow the grain too easily.
    For much the same reason, I usually limit my 18 ga to 1.25".
    Greg and Rich, both of you suggest that the only nail length for the P635 (1-3/16") is usually too long for 23ga - you both cite the possibility of the small nail following the grain. edit: Greg's comment was for the P630 (1-3/8", but that's only 3/16" longer)

This has me confused a bit. Should I step up to the P650 which can shoot nails in a range of lengths, as short as 3/8" ? What length nail would be appropriate for holding together 3/4" ply for glue up or driving screws ?
    Last edited by Kelly Colin Mark; 03-06-2014 at 10:21 AM.

The P6xx series guns all shoot pins from 3/8" up to the max length for that gun.

23ga pinners were originally created for pins up to 1", thinking that was the maximum that anyone would have a use for in that fine a pin. Then a few companies offered guns and pins that were a bit longer since the consumer thinks bigger must be better.

What we both were saying is that no matter which gun you have, you probably won't find much need for pins longer than 1". I suppose that depends on your needs. Great for holding a small piece of trim while the glue dries but there is little strength in a 23ga pin.

What is your thought process on cabinets? I'm wondering if they will work for your need.

I find 1 1/4 pins to be my most used length. My pin nailer has all but replaced my brad nailer for trim and assembly. IMO, brads which are flat and wide tend to follow the grain much more often than micro pins. Plus, on the occasion that they do blow out, you get a lot less damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I've got a Senco PC1010 compressor. It almost looks like a toy -- it is 14" long. It has plenty of power for trim work. I run a pin nailer with it, a brad nailer, and a finish nailer.
    It is quiet too. http://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010-1.../dp/B0000AQK78
    $107.99 today 28% off..