Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhausting minute amounts of dust and noise issues.

Exhausting minute amounts of dust and noise issues.

As for dust collection, I have no problem on the minimal heat loss for a hobby shop exhausting a cyclone outside, even for us in the cold states.

But I've heard it said many times how loud the noise is if you exhaust outside.

Why can't you just do the following:

After going straight out the wall and then a 90 degree sweep down with another straight piece towards the ground (a couple feet shy), why can't that all be boxed in?

My goal is to do just that on the side of my shop and finish it with OSB, the same white siding that's already there, and 2" rigid foam on the inside to help reduce sound. The bottom would have a square piece of 3/4" wood with a hole cut out to close up the bottom to stop cold air and birds/rodents. The metal 6" duct pipe would have mesh over it, again for birds/rodents and would just protrude below the 3/4" piece of wood.

Inside of it on the shop side would have a flapper to stay in the closed position unless using it, therefore minimizing heat loss. This would eliminate costly filters that just allow only the smallest stuff to pass through anyways, the bad stuff. The box could even have a few screws allowing it to be opened up if needed.

I've never seen this once, anywhere, and for the record I truly know that I am wrong or missing something as someone would surely be doing it this way. My question is what are the negative things of doing this and wouldn't it reduce the noise rather significantly? It seems cheap to do and again, seems like it would really stop the noise. Why is it a bad idea?

Thanks,

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

I don't feel it's a bad idea as I plan on doing the same here shortly @ my place .
    I'm not putting a flapper close off myself
    But plan nearly the same setup to stop the noise the next door house might hear
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mahan View Post
    I don't feel it's a bad idea as I plan on doing the same here shortly @ my place .
    I'm not putting a flapper close off myself
    But plan nearly the same setup to stop the noise the next door house might hear

Wow, thank you Michael as I thought I was going insane I can't see how the noise would not be drastically reduce.

David

4. I don't find it noisy to vent outside.

I think the cyclone in it's self is the major noise maker
    mine will be enclosed in a cabinet that will use that recycled denim insulation (Bonded Logic ) as a sound barrier
    I have a ClearVue Max .
    I plan on venting out side BUT will wait till I have the thing up & running ,Then see what outside noise is like before proceeding in a outside noise reduction solution .
    I'll tackle the inside noise 1st
    I do need to make a out noise reduction cab for a compressor but that will be in back yard wall & the cyclone will be on a side wall of the garage with a house just 18' away .
    I have a lot of work ahead of me , I find if one does things one step at a time things go easier in the long run .
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Delhommer Sr View Post
    I don't find it noisy to vent outside.

Wow, this is truly surprising Robert as I've read it many, many times.

I've actually heard it likened to an airplane propeller sound, which would annoy your neighbors to no end, rightly so.

David

David, I've been venting outside for several years. I sure don't miss cleaning filters or worrying about fine dust getting everywhere. My system isn't a cyclone, so I have it exhausting into a big box with a screen door mesh window. All of the big chips and dust that escape the DC end up in the bottom of the box.

It doesn't particularly make a lot of noise. Outside the shop, it sounds kind of like a dryer vent.
    Last edited by david brum; 03-01-2014 at 11:08 PM.

I vent outside and when I first installed it I was concerned about the noise too. I brought out my push lawn mower and put it next to the outlet then started them both up. The lawn mower drowned out the DC to the point where I just put the lawn mower away and haven't thought about it any more. To me, it just isn't that loud.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

I vent my 2HP cyclone outside and I don't think it is that noisy at all. I built an attached shed off of my woodshop just for the dust collector. The dust collector vents out the wall of the shed. The shed is insulated to cut down the noise of the unit itself. I also put the unit on rubber floor mats (the cheap $10 ones from HF) to cut down on vibrations. The exhaust noise really isn't that loud. No issues at all. RF remote control makes it super easy to use and I'm psyched to never have to clean a filter. Much quieter in my shop, less dust in my shop (no messing with the filter or the barrel in my shop), and more room in my shop. I just have to remember to go out to the shed once in a while to see if the barrel is full.

I am not understanding how this is not a major heat loss in cold climates - how is 1,000 - 1,500 cubic feet per minute not a huge heat loss? Seems to me it would be like leaving a garage door open in winter - what am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    I am not understanding how this is not a major heat loss in cold climates - how is 1,000 - 1,500 cubic feet per minute not a huge heat loss? Seems to me it would be like leaving a garage door open in winter - what am I missing?
    The general argument is the thermal mass of the building itself and the contents mitigate a bit of what you will feel. But you'r right, you will be dumping massive quantities of heated air to the outside which will have to be reheated. Then the argument becomes heating makeup air is thought to be eaiser.

My logic has always been, a btu thrown out the window is one that needs to be heated. (common physics). So it boils down to are you willing to eat the heat loss to gain the filter hassle. I have been tempted many times myself to dump to the outside.

The issue I have is even though I have a commercial shop and can technically do whatever I want I have residential neighbors. I would rather keep the peace. Unlike a hobby shop, even though my DC may only be as loud as a lawnmower, it runs almost all day. I dont know many neighbors who would have nice things to say about their neighbor running a lawnmower for 8-10 hours a day.

If you used one of those heaters that heat objects instead of air, might not be such a big deal to exhaust your air in winter. Doesn't seem like a great idea if you use AC in summer though. I like the idea of exhausting outside, would keep your shop much cleaner, and your dc would work a lot better with no filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    If you used one of those heaters that heat objects instead of air, might not be such a big deal to exhaust your air in winter. Doesn't seem like a great idea if you use AC in summer though. I like the idea of exhausting outside, would keep your shop much cleaner, and your dc would work a lot better with no filter.
    Not to start a physics debate but a BTU lost is a BTU lost period. If it leaves the building, regardless of whether it comes from the air or an object, its a loss. It all boils down to the basic laws of thermodynamics. If we take any amount of heat from a space, regardless of where its from, it has to be replaced.

Of course the buffer (cushion) of the thermal mass of a structure and its contents could make it feel less unpleasant, the heat is still lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mahan View Post
    I think the cyclone in it's self is the major noise maker
    mine will be enclosed in a cabinet that will use that recycled denim insulation (Bonded Logic ) as a sound barrier
    I have a ClearVue Max .
    I plan on venting out side BUT will wait till I have the thing up & running ,Then see what outside noise is like before proceeding in a outside noise reduction solution .
    I'll tackle the inside noise 1st
    I do need to make a out noise reduction cab for a compressor but that will be in back yard wall & the cyclone will be on a side wall of the garage with a house just 18' away .
    I have a lot of work ahead of me , I find if one does things one step at a time things go easier in the long run .
    I tried enclosing the cyclone without exhaust an exhaust muffler and it has little effect and none for the neighbours. Yhe noise level at the exhaust of an Clearvue is generally near enough to 92db, damned loud but it is very directional. There has been a lot of work around this issue done in Australia because nearly all cyclones vent to atmosphere, one is here http://mastslav.weebly.com/

I have stood beside the linked installation and it has a sound level of about 72db and a normal conversation can be conducted right next to it. More installations of this nature can be found on the Australian forums in the DE section.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

15. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I tried enclosing the cyclone without exhaust an exhaust muffler and it has little effect and none for the neighbours. Yhe noise level at the exhaust of an Clearvue is generally near enough to 92db, damned loud but it is very directional. There has been a lot of work around this issue done in Australia because nearly all cyclones vent to atmosphere, one is here http://mastslav.weebly.com/

I have stood beside the linked installation and it has a sound level of about 72db and a normal conversation can be conducted right next to it. More installations of this nature can be found on the Australian forums in the DE section.
    ThanX Chris
    PM sent