Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Ellis Dovetail Bevel

George Ellis Dovetail Bevel

I made one . It's nice and quick to make from scraps which is a double win in my book. George suggests a 1:7 one size fits all concept, I'm more than happy with that for now.

Dovetail Template.jpgDovetail Template a.jpg Dovetail Marker.jpg

Nice idea. The one problem I see with it is that when marking dovetails you need to put a square line across the end of the board. Certain other dovetail markers provide that function. With this one, you'd need another tool, perhaps a double square, to make that line.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, you are of corse correct. Take it up with George let me know if you get a response . I think part of the reason he chose to ommit the extra bit was he shows gang cut dovetails. For marking such work perhaps it would of made his marker too clumsy?
    Last edited by Graham Haydon; 03-01-2014 at 4:11 PM. Reason: extra thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Haydon View Post
    Mike, you are of course correct. Take it up with George let me know if you get a response . I think part of the reason he chose to ommit the extra bit was he shows gang cut dovetails. For marking such work perhaps it would of made his marker too clumsy?
    I'm afraid I don't know who George Ellis is. Perhaps it would be better if you take it up with him.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/wworking/...actJoinery.asp, unless I can raise the dead I'm gonna struggle

Saw your video on youtube. Great job man.

Very nice Graham...thanks for sharing this.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Haydon View Post
    http://www.wkfinetools.com/wworking/...actJoinery.asp, unless I can raise the dead I'm gonna struggle
    I think they can only to do that in the united states in the south.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FJNZyhRfA4

Ken, thanks, still very much a WIP. I take my hat of to those who can anything of worth in front of the lens. Perhaps the Kardashians have some skills............

Cheers Chris!

David, that is the most welcome tangent I have had on this, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Nice idea. The one problem I see with it is that when marking dovetails you need to put a square line across the end of the board. Certain other dovetail markers provide that function. With this one, you'd need another tool, perhaps a double square, to make that line.

Mike
    I used one of those for years Mike and it works if you take your time, but invariably I've found I'm usually off a few degrees. I've since migrated to a bevel gage and small square, with fit increasing significantly. The other thing that should go without mentioning, is to use knife lines when marking.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Looks like you've only got half...dovetail-marker-6-09-001.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    I used one of those for years Mike and it works if you take your time, but invariably I've found I'm usually off a few degrees. I've since migrated to a bevel gage and small square, with fit increasing significantly. The other thing that should go without mentioning, is to use knife lines when marking.
    The wooden tool looks best suited for short run work since you really can't use a knife to mark effectively using a wooden gage. That will lead to inaccuracies very quickly as the inevitable catching of the gage itself with the knife results in deterioration.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    The wooden tool looks best suited for short run work since you really can't use a knife to mark effectively using a wooden gage. That will lead to inaccuracies very quickly as the inevitable catching of the gage itself with the knife results in deterioration.
    When I do dovetails, I do tails first and mark the tails with a pencil. The cutting of the tails is not critical because you're going to transfer the tail to the pin board, and there I use a knife for marking. The marking of the tails is all "square" lines so I use a double square to mark those lines. So for my work, a knife is never used on the dovetail jig.

Mike

Jim, it seems thats it's older more evolved bro. Paul Sellers style?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Looks like you've only got half...dovetail-marker-6-09-001.jpg
    Good design, Jim. Addresses the angle on the tail and the square line across the end of the board.

Mike