Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Weeks New Yankee Workshop.....

This Weeks New Yankee Workshop.....

This week Norm did a custom "builtin look" Library system. Great ideas in this show. The reason for my post is, I want a little circular saw like norm used in the show today. It was a smaller light weight saw, just what I want for breaking down sheet goods and using on my edge guide as Norm was using as well. Even if I buy an EZ guide later, this looks like a good choice for me. Anyone know what this saw is? I suspect that it was a PC but it sure didn't look like the PC's I have seen.
    ALso how about that pocket hole jig that Norm was using. It appeared to be a Delta?? product. It's application was a little bit different though it seemed. It drilled the pockets so that the entire interior of the pocket was open and the screws were run all the way to the bottom face of the hole. Maybe it was just the way he had it set up, but for 1 1/2 face framed, it would have blowed right out.
    Anyway, anyone know the make on the CS he was using?
    Thanks, Ok back to plastering and stucco.
    Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    This week Norm did a custom "builtin look" Library system. Great ideas in this show. The reason for my post is, I want a little circular saw like norm used in the show today. It was a smaller light weight saw, just what I want for breaking down sheet goods and using on my edge guide as Norm was using as well. Even if I buy an EZ guide later, this looks like a good choice for me. Anyone know what this saw is? I suspect that it was a PC but it sure didn't look like the PC's I have seen.
    ALso how about that pocket hole jig that Norm was using. It appeared to be a Delta?? product. It's application was a little bit different though it seemed. It drilled the pockets so that the entire interior of the pocket was open and the screws were run all the way to the bottom face of the hole. Maybe it was just the way he had it set up, but for 1 1/2 face framed, it would have blowed right out.
    Anyway, anyone know the make on the CS he was using?
    Thanks, Ok back to plastering and stucco.
    Corey
    Corey,

Don't know about the pocket hole jig he was using as I didn't see the broadcast. But the saw was a Porter Cable 4 1/2" trim saw like this one:

I bought mine at Woodcraft. They are not cheap, but it's a good stout saw and it's excellent for breaking down sheet goods.

hth,
    John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

That's the one John! Thanks and I intend to use it just as you say. I just looked it up on Amazon... OUCH!! That is a 200.00 saw. Why do smaller saws tend to have a higher price!! In the reviews people mention a base that is flopsy and not lined up properly ( in 2 of the reviews, 2 were great) and made it impossible to use against a straight edge. Have you had any problems with this or had to made adjustments?
    Thanks,
    Corey
    P.S. without going cordless are there any other light duty trim saws like this around? 200. would definitely be the tops on price for me.

Hi Corey - I suspect the higher price is due to lower production quantities which forces the cost per unit up. It seems to me that our Sam's Club had those a year or so ago....you might check it out if you have a Sam's in your area. Even if you're not a member, they'll usually let you browse.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks Scott, Sams Club?? Would never of thought to shop there for tools. I always pass on my wifes offer to go to Sams Maybe I have been to hasty in my decision.

Corey

The problem with Sam's tool lineup is that they don't stock the same items continually...they come, they go, they're gone....sometimes they come back, sometimes not. If nothing else, they have a pretty good size dish of frozen custard for $1.10.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Yeah, it is probably the equivalent of a 5 Gallon Dish!! I just shake my head when my wife brings home that 3 gallon bottle of Ketchup and Mustard that requires a hydraulic pump and a 2 wheeler cart to bring it in the house...... oh yeah... it was only 4.99 while supplies last!! Thanks again for the info, will have to add that to the list of occasional drive bys!

Corey

That's the one John! Thanks and I intend to use it just as you say. I just looked it up on Amazon... OUCH!! That is a 200.00 saw. Why do smaller saws tend to have a higher price!! In the reviews people mention a base that is flopsy and not lined up properly ( in 2 of the reviews, 2 were great) and made it impossible to use against a straight edge. Have you had any problems with this or had to made adjustments?
    Thanks,
    Corey
    P.S. without going cordless are there any other light duty trim saws like this around? 200. would definitely be the tops on price for me.
    Corey,

I have had NO PROBLEMS using it with the clamp on straight edge like Norm uses. I got those from Woodcraft also. I find no "flopsy base" at all. On the contrary, it's a very well built saw. I paid a little over $200.00 for mine 2 years ago. I don't know of anything else that would compare to this saw after having used it for 2 years on everything from ply, paneling, 2x4's, etc... It's a great little saw and I would not want to be without one in the shop.

Best Wishes,
    John
    Woodworking:

Hey Corey,

Check your pm's.

John
    Woodworking:

Thanks John for the links. I hope for this to be a future gloat!!

Corey

Even if I buy an EZ guide later, this looks like a good choice for me.
    Corey
    Actually, it's probably not a good fit with the EZSmart, because you lose almost an inch of cut capacity between the saw base and the guide rail. I'd definitely stick with a 7.25" saw. Also, if you intend a saw for the EZSmart, get a braked version (like Dino clearly recommends), to avoid chipping the plastic edges by pulling it up too soon. Don't ask me how I know this...
    Last edited by John Foote; 06-18-2005 at 2:03 PM.

Thanks John, that is probably true, never thought about that. Given that, I am quite happy with using my straight edge guides that I have. I get very good results with them. I will probably just stick with those then.

Corey

THese are nice saws. MInes about 4 years old.

Norm has been using that small PC trim saw for years. It's a really nice product...I came close to buying one not long ago, but opted to invest in some other tools instead with that chunk of cash.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim, I had seen Norm using a small CS before but didn't pay that much attention. I probably wrote it off as a cordless tool.

Corey