Thread: Coring System

Coring System

I'm thinking of selling my McNaughton system and moving over to the Oneway. My question is for those that have used both. The McNaughton comes with 3 curved and 1 straight. The Oneway is often sold with the 90" and 11.5" knives. Would this cover the same range as the McNaughton or should I also look at the 13" blade as well?

It depends on what sizes you will be coring. The biggest blade set will be used sparingly. The small and medium will be used the most. Not as versatile as the McNaughton, and if you do manage to learn to use the McNaughton, it is a lot faster.

robo hippy

Hi, Josh:
    The 9" and 11" are the knives I use the most often, but I do use the 13" and even 16" if I have bigger chunks of wood. I originally bought just the 9, 11, and 13 inch knives and almost the first time I got some logs afterward I wished I had the 16. I bought it and have used it several times now, but the roughed out bowl needs to be 20" or bigger if you are doing twice turned bowls. The 13" knife would be for rough outs 16" or bigger for twice turned bowls. If you plan to turn green to finish bowls then you could use the 13" knife on smaller rough outs. Each knife can cut a bowl a bit bigger or smaller than its stated size but not more than, say, an inch either way without running into binding issues with the blade and support arm in the kerf. So the small knife would be 8" t 10", the next 10.5" to 12.5", then 12" to 14". It is possible to re-cut to widen the kerf if binding becomes too big a problem but that might mess up your layout if you are taking multiple cores.

I don't believe I have ever used any of the McNaughton knives except the two most curved ones.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...Zzr4w9G-ORub-j

Take care
    Bob

I like my McNaughton cause I can make shapes I like. The Oneway you can only do the one shape. It is a little hard to get use to but you can do so much more,I say keep trying and get the McN.working for you.
    Just my opinion.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I have been successful with the McNaughton, however the purpose of the tool was to get as much out of an expensive piece of wood as possible. That being said, I don't feel the McNaughton is reliable toward that ends, in that I have to practice some with it each time. If I used it every day, no doubt it would do the job. But using it every so often makes me afraid to use it for my intended purpose. So I think I may move on.

I'm with Bob. I don't turn outboard on my 16" swing Oneway and seldom have used the 13. Getting ready to do a bunch of coring again of some spalted damp maple. Most frequently these days I take as large a bowl as I can then use the core for a hollow form.
    Incidentally I just love all of Bob's videos but I use some of the setup procedures from the Oneway Coring video.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Have you had a look at the new Woodcut Bowlsaver Max. It is a great coring system I have had one for six month and cant be more happy will cut a core from 17" down.

George

Maybe they only have the big Woodcut bowl coring system up there in Canada. I know they have been working on it for years, but didn't find it through Craft Supplies or Packard.

robo hippy

I hab
    ve not seen them for sale in Canada yet but if you go to the Woodcut web site you can order them there two people in our club have them and we have had no trouble with them they are built much stronger than the first woodcut bowl saver.

Georgewoodcut 3.jpg