Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday trip to usa what would you buy

Holiday trip to usa what would you buy

I am travelling with my family from the United Kingdom to Boston and the surrounding area for a 2 week holiday in July

My question

Can anyone recommend products to purchase in the following areas

Gardening camping technology

regards

Brian

Boston Baked Beans.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

If you're like my friends in the UK, you might be camping/hikers. There are a couple outstanding camping/hiking outfitters in Boston you might want to visit that will tempt your wallet. Also, since you're on this blog, it's not too far of a drive to the Lie Nielsen home/store in Warren, Maine (leave the kids at the swim park). Check the exchange rates daily, and bring an electronic converter.

Under "camping"...

http://www.rei.com/stores/boston.html

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Boston Baked Beans.
    I lived in Boston half my life, and never ate a Boston Baked Bean once. I think they're only sold in the airport for last-minute souvenirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Under "camping"...

http://www.rei.com/stores/boston.html

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    I agree. If they don't have REI in the UK, then it's definitely worth a visit.

Other than that, in this era of online shopping and containerized shipping, is there anything you can get abroad that you can't get at home any more?

Lambs 151 proof rum at the duty free shop..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Just eat as much seafood as you can hold while you're there.

Go to a "When Pigs Fly" bakery. It is always the highlight of my trips to Boston. Well, other than seeing my son I mean.

My wife would recommend going up to the LLBean store in Maine, but it left me cold. Huge, but otherwise nothing remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Falk View Post

Other than that, in this era of online shopping and containerized shipping, is there anything you can get abroad that you can't get at home any more?
    Hee hee. Oh you american (and i mean that in the nicest way). Because every country tries to unload their wares in tye US you probably have little idea about geoblocking. In a nutshell it allows companies to gouge the.customer and eliminate all competion to keep them honest in their region of the globe - australia is the world leader there.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Go to a "When Pigs Fly" bakery. It is always the highlight of my trips to Boston. Well, other than seeing my son I mean.

My wife would recommend going up to the LLBean store in Maine, but it left me cold. Huge, but otherwise nothing remarkable.
    If you do go north to Maine, you might as well consider visiting Lie Nielsen. Asides from the goodies, they have weekend on-hands workshop.

My wife and I were definitely in the "lets do some shopping" mode when we were in Paris and to be honest, there was not a lot that we saw that we felt we either would not have been able to find on Amazon or that was just not compelling enough to pay to bring back. We did bring back some wine (not really so much because it was great wine but just because we liked the idea of being able to open a bottle and have it remind us of this great trip...). What we did spend money and what we felt we could not find anyplace else was the great food. We try to bring back one trinket or chachki for the house from every trip but by and large, we spend our money on "seeing and tasting" each destination. That's just what works for us.

Boston is a great area. I'm sure you will enjoy your travels there.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

We get a lot of visitors from Ireland and they love to stock up on clothing, especially blue jeans because those items are so expensive back home. They stop and load up at the Outlet Malls

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Falk View Post

+2. I went to an REI when I was on vacation. If you want camping/hiking gear, they are superb. The staff is knowledgable and helpful.
    Fred

I cannot reply specifically about Boston, but based on my own travels and a lot of feedback from others, you should find prices to be very attractive compared to what you see at home. Unfortunately, airline charges for excess weight may take big bites out of any savings.