Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did the swap meet go over?

Exclamation How did the swap meet go over?

I would like to know how it went and who all went. Post your stories. I was on my way when the transfer case in my truck took a early break just across the W.Va-Va. line.....Best weekend ever....Yeah Right.

Keith
    My wife and I left our home in NJ at about 11:00 am on Friday - at 11:00 pm we checked into a hotel about 30 miles north of the swap meet site! Never in my life have I expereinced so much traffic - I had planned a seven hour trip - all the way.

On Saturday morning we slept a little late, went to a local grocery store for lunch stuff and soda and headed south towards Keith Outten's home - When we arrived all of the prior day's agony was forgotten. There was a small goup of SMC'ers milling around (no pun intended), Dino was giving a demonstration of his tool (the name of which I hesitate to mention), the wives were sheltering themselves from the sun and all were having a good time.

I think the turn out was smaller that what it could have been, and there was not a whole lot of "swappin'" going on (but there was some), which is too bad because I had a wad of cash in my pocket ready to grab anything I liked. But I do not regret one minute of the time it took to travel back and forth (the return trip was not great either) - I met some great folks, watched some great demonstrations, picke up some useful tips and techniques and generally had a good time. For those that did not attend, especially those that live close, you missed a great event.

I was surprised at the support given by woodworking vendors - the door prizes were abundant and several were expensive tools - which speaks well of those vendors who contributed to the success of this day. Thanks to all of you.

I am confident that future events will be much better attended because of the experience all of us had on this day - I predict this event will grow over the next few years to a point where Keith and his group will want to take it "off site" - although there is plenty of room for growth at Keith's home (a warning to his family.)

I have read about your troubles and I am sorry you missed the meet - I hope to see you at the next one.
    Ray
    Semper Fi

My wife, Nettie and I had a lot of fun at the swap meet. We have been very busy building and finishing her turning studio. My shop is too full of junk for her. We got to see a part of this great country that we had never visited before. Ken's pen turning demo was much appreciated, and we have purchased several finishing materials he demonstrated. We will finially get to use them when 12 year old grandson visits for a turning weekend in five days. We are planning to go to the next swap, even though it's almost 500 miles. Hopefully more will attend.

Bill in WNC mountains

Keith,
    Sorry for your troubles. I don't want to make it worse but you missed a lot of fun. My wife and I had visited Williamsburg before attending the meet. We hadn't been there for 30 years. We had a great time at the meet. I thank Keith and Jackie for their hospitality. And the best part was being there for Keith and Ken doing their comedy routine. That was the whip cream on the sundae! Anyway I hope we can all get together again.

Tom Kelley

How 'bout holding the next one in Tampa, FL???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold
    How 'bout holding the next one in Tampa, FL???
    In February, and I won't drive. Keith, if you are listening, you gotta volunteer here!
    Semper Fi

Bill, Tampa in Febuary is an excellent idea!

Ray, we need to find another host for Tampa. Having visited my home you know I am a man of modest means. Maybe Bill will volunteer to organize the SwapMeet and Ken Salisbury will bankroll the event

Seriously, my family and I enjoyed having everyone in May. The SwapMeet had a few rough edges but we muddled through and learned how to make a few improvements for the next event. We will try to be better planners and have a schedule of events posted before the SwapMeet. I have already started inviting a select group of companies to join us next time so the planning is already under way. I hope the companies who donate door prizes will all have booths and provide demonstrations of their equipment as well. I hope our SwapMeet events will eventually grow into huge events and that we will be able to utilize large commercial facillities to host events.

Dreaming big doesn't cost any money

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Bill, Tampa in Febuary is an excellent idea!

Ray, we need to find another host for Tampa. Having visited my home you know I am a man of modest means. Maybe Bill will volunteer to organize the SwapMeet and Ken Salisbury will bankroll the event ...
    One option for an SMC gathering down in these parts could be the 'WoodWorks Events' show slated for Tampa November 18-20. They provide booth space to local woodworking clubs free of charge. Perhaps SMC can contact them and see what happens. I'm already working with our local club, Florida West Coast Woodworkers to generate interest in setting up a booth to demonstrate what we do for the community.

Regards,
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Thanks,

I am not glad I broke down...mainly the $1300 tow bill. But I would think a FL trip would be a good one to make...But I think Naples or Orlando would draw more people.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Ratliff
    ... But I would think a FL trip would be a good one to make...But I think Naples or Orlando would draw more people.
    Naples is too far from most everything for most folks in Florida to make the trip. Orlando or Tampa are better choices. I know there are some members along the west Coast of Florida, so Tampa is a good choice.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa

Keith O. Rough edges!?, What rough edges? I kinda liked it being low-key. Overly scheduled isn't relaxing. That will come with time as the event grows.

I do have to say that there was one disappointment, and that was that some guy was supposed to bring some lumber to sell.

Keith O. - Trust me, these things grow - Once, a very long time ago, I chaired a "Table Top" show for our local builder's association - Our suppliers such as lumber yards, roofing materials, bath fixtures, etc. - rented the table tops and exhibited their wares - within a few years we had a full scale professional trade show that provided almost half our association's income. The key was a good committee and lots of enthusiasm.

Now, what we had in May was perfectly fine with me - get too big and it puts lots of stress on everyone involved - I know - after five or six years of running our trade show it became too much of a burden and interfered with my business. Planning took a year and everything from bad weather to a poor economy could cause a disaster (How about the Blizzard of '83?) It is great to enjoy the plaques on my wall given me by an appreciative association - but just writing about it starts my stomach rolling - keep up the good work but keep it fun.
    Ray
    Semper Fi

Thanks Ray,

Yours is good advice and I will take heed. Keeping it enjoyable and informative should be the main focus and that is what we will make every effort to accomplish. Certainly we don't want to copy what others do especially since our group and our goals are based on a community of woodworkers and not commercial sales.

Glad you agree, Keith. Do I get free tickets for the next one??
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bersch
    Glad you agree, Keith. Do I get free tickets for the next one??
    Ray;

After staying two nights for free on Keith's property for the last one, I don't think you'll have any problems. Keith and Jackie made my wife and I feel quite comfortable.
    Possumpoint