Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I "Need" a 1/8" Chisel??

I have a couple 1/8th-ish chisels, I find I use them more than I thought.

One time I needed a smaller chisel for inlaying some small brass. I sharpened the end of a jewelers screwdriver.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Buy it. Because chisels are awesome. And because I want one and haven't done it yet.

I have found myself wanting when when dovetailing and working to get thin pins. I have also made a few small mortises and inlays that it would have been nice to have something smaller than 1/4"
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Moumar View Post
    I have the veritas detail chisel set which includes a 1/8" and 1/16". I don't use them heaps but every now and then I need them and they're nice to have. I have them set up with a 20deg bevel so they cut like a hot knife though butter.
    I have that set too. I use at least one of them on every project. They are easy to control and sharpen and comfortable to use.
    Gary

Blog Entries
    I have the set also. They are not used often, but when they are needed it's nice to have them.

Blog Entries
    I have one that's 25 degrees, so I basically use it as a paring chisel. I use it more often than I thought I would.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Wellll . . . Yah ! ! ! No . . . Yah . . . well . . .

Do I "Need" a 1/8" Chisel??

Andy,

When you get REALLY GOOD . . .
    and I mean, REALLY, REALLY GOOD . . .
    (and fast)
    A 1/8 " chisel is ALL that you need.
    or that seems to be what I was thinking when I bought chisels.
    First photo, note there are at least two 1/8 inchers.

Second photo (close up of three that are in the upper left of the first photo) shows the one I ground into a double skew and a couple of slightly wider ones are left and right skew. These are my half blind dovetail clean up chisels.

Third photo; looks like at least three more there. One is even narrower.

So to answer your question. No you don't need ONE.
    You need like four or five.

Last edited by Winton Applegate; 03-07-2014 at 9:51 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    My 3mm and 1/8" chisels do not get used a lot. They do get used.

But then again, I have eight 1/4" bevel edged chisels and most of them are used often. (yes, there are also straight side 1/4" chisels in my kit.)

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You'll know when you need one! I didn't need one til this week, when I decided to build a small box with internal dividers. The dividers are made from stuff that's 1/8" thick. They are fixed in end pieces that each have 3 stopped dadoes. Dadoes? Bingo, there came the need for a 1/8" chisel. Not having one, and not wanting to wait for one to arrive from somewhere, I found an Allen key of the right width, ground it, and sharpened it. It fits very well in my "Old Woman's Tooth" router.

For example: http://www.bob-easton.com/blog/2014/3042/
    Last edited by Bob Easton; 03-09-2014 at 5:56 PM.

I see Lee Valley now has 1/8th and 3/16th PMV11 bench chisels. Hoorah!!!

I'll be getting those for sure. I was really hoping for that 9/64 chisel though!

Since I found an old 1/8" Swan Mortise chisel in a box full of tools I got for cheap, I may think about turning my Narex Mortise chisel into a 1/16 chisel. I figure the extra meat on the top of the beam might be better than modifying a regular chisel into such a narrow version. Any thoughts? Anyone interested in seeing how it turns out?
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Don't buy an 1/8 chisel but make one by grinding the lower edges of a 1/4" chisel. you will have much greater control of the chisel because of the wider portion above the working portion of the chisel. This is also an advantage when sharpening the chisel. The 1/8 chisels are so narrow it is difficult to keep it held true when sharpening. The 1/4" remedies this.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Moumar View Post
    I have the veritas detail chisel set which includes a 1/8" and 1/16". I don't use them heaps but every now and then I need them and they're nice to have. I have them set up with a 20deg bevel so they cut like a hot knife though butter.
    I want to jump onto this bandwagon. I LOVE my detail chisel set from Lee Valley. I purchased them when I wanted to cut some relatively small dovetails. I purchased a 1/8" sweetheart at the same time. It really gets into the corners and I use it sometimes even with larger dovetails.

13. I occasionally use the corner of a card scraper with a scraper burr turned on it as a narrow chisel. works pretty well, if slow, for shallow cuts. I also have some scrapers with acute corners that get used without turning a burr on the corner. I have a few chisels in the 1/8" range, but sometimes narrower is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Armstrong View Post
    I see Lee Valley now has 1/8th and 3/16th PMV11 bench chisels. Hoorah!!!
    Me Too. It's in my shopping cart.
    Gary