Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese chisel profile?

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Brown View Post
    Is there a difference between western and eastern dovetails? I've definitely ruled out the shinogi profile.
    Yes, but the only reason I phrased it that way was to emphasize that "dovetail" is an English term and all that I was talking about. If you want chisels specifically for dovetails, that's a different choice/search.

Jack,

I was totally kidding when I asked if there was a difference between eastern and western dovetails. I've been told I have a very dry sense of humor and it rubs some people the wrong way or they just don't get it. Thanks for your thoughtful response. I love it when a question I asked generates such a lively discussion. Derek, do you have all your pictures ready to just call up, or do you take them special to match your need? You are prolific my friend.

Darren

Darren

Have you heard of Photobucket?

These are questions that have been raised so many times before. Plus, in many instances, I have written about them on my website (where there are more photos.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Brown View Post
    Jack,

I was totally kidding when I asked if there was a difference between eastern and western dovetails. I've been told I have a very dry sense of humor and it rubs some people the wrong way or they just don't get it. Thanks for your thoughtful response. I love it when a question I asked generates such a lively discussion. ...
    I confess I didn't get the humor, but that didn't rub me the wrong way, it was a reasonable question.

I just got a couple of Ouchi chisels from Stu in a little different style. They're 'yama-ari' style and, according to Stu, they're made specifically for dovetails and general work. No side 'land', just a 75° angle on the sides all the way down to the back. They fit very nicely with the 14 degree angles I generally use and aren't nearly as "fragile" as the ones marked as "dovetail". They could easily be used as a bench or general purpose chisel. I've been very happy with them.

I'm sure Stu could give you more information.