Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mallet for dovetails?

Happy this came up I'm going to get one of the wood is good mallets

Thanks for the link. Best $25 I spent this month. I don't need this but it seems more convenient than my bulkier DIY markers. I was going to try to get some brass angle and make some nicer markers but I'd rather spend that time working wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I use mallets all day some days. Since I bought the Wood is Good 12 and 30's, no sore wrists or elbows, and no beat up chisel handles.

I use a Stanley 16 ounce soft face mallet. Bought it second hand
    and it's always on my bench.

It has replaceable heads on either side.
    Not too heavy to use for awhile,
    not too light as to be ineffective.

I like a flat face that's better than 1 1/4" diameter.
    I don't miss, much.

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/002...&026=-99&025=c

I've used a Blue Spruce mallet for years and couldn't be happier with it. The Wood is Good mallet is nice, but a bit bouncy for me when cutting dovetails.

I've been meaning to grab one of the WIG mallets. When the OT check comes in, maybe this is the kick in the pants if I remember.

I will say, for a whole lot of my dovetails, I saw out the waste tight enough with the coping saw, that I don't *need* a mallet - hold the chisel against my shoulder and press with my body, and paring cuts handle the whole operation sans whacking. It's nice, because the coffee doesn't vibrate off the bench, and the chips don't end up in the mug.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    and the chips don't end up in the mug.
    Pine chips add an interesting dimension to coffee's flavor.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    I've been meaning to grab one of the WIG mallets. When the OT check comes in, maybe this is the kick in the pants if I remember.

I will say, for a whole lot of my dovetails, I saw out the waste tight enough with the coping saw, that I don't *need* a mallet - hold the chisel against my shoulder and press with my body, and paring cuts handle the whole operation sans whacking. It's nice, because the coffee doesn't vibrate off the bench, and the chips don't end up in the mug.
    If your coffee vibrates off the bench, your bench is too light. Though like Jim, I have found some woods impart a nice aroma and taste to the coffee. Hahaha!

To answer the question from OP though, I use a small hickory mallet I made from 2 chunks of 5/4 hickory I had lying around from my bench build for light work and a large hickory mallet made from 2 chunks of 8/4 (again, leftover from my bench build).

Big thumper's head: 7" long, 3 1/2" tall, 3" wide made of hickory (8/4 laminated). The handle is 12 1/2" long from top to bottom.

Little thumper's head: 5" long, 2 1/4" tall, 1 3/4" wide (5/4 laminated). The handle for that little guy is 9" long. It is also made of hickory. The head for little thumper wasn't soaked as long.

1073255_10201886578669031_998450963_o.jpg
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Thanks Adam! I might make 2 just because they make such a nice pair

What angle did you use for the faces? Also, I missed the "soaked" reference. What were they soaked in?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post

The head for little thumper wasn't soaked as long.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Hi Daniel

You should make one. In fact, if you can turn you should also make a carver's mallet, and then compare the two types. Aim for about 18 oz for each.

Mallets are such a personal thing. I used round cabinetmaker mallets for many years. My favourite is the Blue Spruce ($80, so out of the price range you mentioned), but I made many for myself as well. In time I came to prefer a square or hammer-like mallet. They focus their energy better. You can actually get away with a slightly lighter mallet. Still, it is a personal preference.

A gennou can be had for $20. These are designed for Japanese hooped chisel handles but work on any hooped handle.

Another alternative is a 19oz Thor with a nylon head. This is quite stiff - I dislike a squishy head as it absorbs too much energy. The Thor is balanced and I use it when noise is an issue (my family are likely to complain at siesta time). Veritas (pre modification) and Thor ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek.
    The Veritas is functionally a lot like the hammer I'm using new but heavier. The angled face and wood inserts are nice touches. What I don't like is the price. It would cost me about $50 delivered and I'm not convinced the action would be any different than my current. The Thor is a bit less but I dislike the handle for some reason. I've see Paul Sellers us one but I don't love it. The make a wooden handled version but the face is only 1".
    -- Dan Rode

Dan, the handle of the Thor is super comfortable. I am not mad about look of the white nylon, but the construction is tough and stiff and the balance is excellent.

The price of the Veritas is $39 (excluding shipping costs) - wait for their free shipping day?

Regards from Perth

Derek

The list for free shipping day is getting longer and longer
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Dan, the handle of the Thor is super comfortable. I am not mad about look of the white nylon, but the construction is tough and stiff and the balance is excellent.

The price of the Veritas is $39 (excluding shipping costs) - wait for their free shipping day?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    -- Dan Rode

I should make my own but the Narex http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/...650g_23oz.html I can get in the UK is nice. Main thing is don't worry too much about it, get one and practice. Whichever you choose will soon become an extension of you. One of the guys here has a carver's mallet and it just feels weird to me.