Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Phone Suggestions

Question New Phone Suggestions

Well as much as I hate to do it, I think it's time for a new phone. Geez, ya just can't get one to last more than 10 years.
    A. My carrier will probably be Verizon.
    B. I will NOT buy an "I" anything.
    My neighbor has the Samsung S4 and it looks pretty nice.
    That said what is everyone using? What to avoid? What is your data plan and how much of it do you use every month?
    I know, lots of questions.
    But then you won't likely have to answer them for another 10 years.

Thanks.

All phones will be lightyears better than whatever you had even 2 years ago.

I too loathe I-products. However, as a Windows phone user I will tell you this:

1) the typing technology is 2nd to none on the i-phone. Even the bigger s-4 or Nokia Lumia's can't hold a candle to the 5-s's recognition ability - IN MY HANDS.
    2) the apps aren't as good on Droid platforms, and they STINK on Windows platforms. I didn't think I'd care about app's, but I do now.

Don't underestimate how powerful a tool this thing is; don't buy a phone thinking, "I don't care about texting or apps", because before too long, you WILL. buying a phone that can do those things very well will eventually be important to you (read, me).

The only nice thing about the not-i phones is that they can be plugged into your pc and can be accessed through normal file browsers. I-syncing requires itunes (by and large).

I picked up a Nokia 520 for $50. Very basic phone, but it works and I don't have to be concerned about what happens to it. Unlimited everything from Straight Talk for $500 a year. I don't use it that much, but it is nice to know that I can't possibly run out of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    2) the apps aren't as good on Droid platforms, and they STINK on Windows platforms. I didn't think I'd care about app's, but I do now.
    True, but it will get better.

If you go the Android route, I recommend the Nexus 5. Decent value at $350 fully unlocked plus it comes loaded with stock Android.

I'd go with whatever the widely distributed android phone is at the time you buy (was the galaxy for a while, etc).

I've had a driod phone for a while, and I troll the free apps (i'm sure there are good paid ones, too, it's just not something I feel like spending money on) and there's plenty there for me to keep myself entertained.

I view the phone as an expense. Good enough and free or cheaper is far better for me than "the best and expensive".

I like the Jitterbug; it's very simple and works well.

I have a samsung gusto just the basic phone and $15. a month had this plan for 26 years now.

My Wife and I both have Samsung GS3 Androids. Large enough so you can actually see things, yet not so big they don't fit in a shirt pocket.
    She got hers free from Verizon, and they might still offer that. Running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean right now, but an upgrade to KitKat is coming up fairly soon.
    Our plans are $60 each for unlimited talk, text, and 2gb data which we have never come close to using, as you'll want to use Wifi whenever possible.
    The Note series are quite a bit larger, and the GS4 is in between.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks to all who have replied.

"I view the phone as an expense."

Dave- Me too. But I have no doubt it will end up being one of my favorite toys!!!

"can't hold a candle to the 5-s's recognition ability"

Prashun- Do you mean it can figure out what my ten thumbs meant to type instead of what I did? I can see the apps being very interesting, still not so much on the texting.

So far no one has mentioned browser capabilities. Any big differences there among platforms or models? Which apps would tend to require maybe a 32 Gb memory model as opposed to 16 Gb?

Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    So far no one has mentioned browser capabilities. Any big differences there among platforms or models? Which apps would tend to require maybe a 32 Gb memory model as opposed to 16 Gb?
    I use the stock browser instead of Google Chrome, even though they're both written by Google.
    We have 16gb models, and I've had as many as 300 apps in mine, but trimmed it down to ones I actually use. Still have 7.5gb left.
    I also have a 64gb MicroSD card for pics, music, videos, movies. Plenty of storage space.

It's one of my favorite toys.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I use a S4, a LOT, and have to say, I'm impressed. Phones typically last much less than a year for me, because they simply wear out. The factory Samsung keyboard sucks. Use swiftkey instead, its on the app store. It's a better keyboard than the Iphone I have for a backup. Chrome browser, on your phone and your desktop, and it'll sync your favorites, history, etc, and make a good seemless interface. My very favorite feature though is the camera, and how it syncs with google, so I just click (great quality pics btw) and there are on whatever computer I log into. Don't care about the proximity sensors, the scrolling with your eyes stuff, or the other gizmos, but the screen quality, the apps, and especially the google interface, make it unbeatable by an Ianything. Oh, the voice recognition on the google bar is better than siri to, at least for my midwest "accent".

The best part about an android phone, everything is customizable. Try that with an Iwhatever.

It's not perfect, I wish it was waterproof, but there is a new version coming that will be, and it ships with too much extra bloat ware.

Yes, I know I'm going to get harpooned by the coolaid drinking Ifanatics, but I frankly don't care. I've tried both, and this android is better in my not so humble opinion.

Steve can you get rid of the bloat-ware or is it hard wired? Great tip on the browser to sync with the pc.

Myk I hadn't even considered that the phone would have an SD card. That should solve any memory problems I would think.

This is great information folks. Thank You!!

Honestly the bloatware is just annoying, not really a real deal breaker. I have 79 apps on my phone, something like 400 pics, and a dozen or so videos, and according to the memory "monitor", everything is running fine. Some of the bloatware comes off easily, some doesn't. Anything made by Samsung doesn't, the third party stuff does. I read that google was going to market a phone directly that was in essence bare.

You can delete, or disable bloatware by rooting the phone. I used Saferoot. Took me a year to get the guts to do it, but it was so simple, I should have done it a long time ago.
    As mentioned, you can customize the crap out of these things.