Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Phone Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    But, then again, I'm a old computer geek, so I have an iPhone 5 that I've jailbroken, so I can browse it just fine from my computer, use it as a wireless hotspot, and install non-Apple-approved apps and tweaks written by a third party.
    You have to hack an iphone to do all that? I didn't know that. The wireless hotspot is a feature I use often. No extra wireless card needed for a laptop in the field, just use the hotspot.

Agree on the otterbox. They have many models, I use a lighter one than Curtis, but even it makes a huge difference.

I picked up a Tracfone (LG) last December w/1200 min of air time.

I have 1194 min of air time left.

To say I seldom use my cell phone is an understatement.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I got an LG G2 about a month ago and I love it. It is my very first smartphone, so I can't really compare to other phones. My friend, co-worker, IT guy and all around tech junkie has one and that's what promted me. The screen is so big and sharp its hard to remember that it is just a phone. It's also simple enough that I've had no problem learning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    You have to hack an iphone to do all that? I didn't know that. The wireless hotspot is a feature I use often. No extra wireless card needed for a laptop in the field, just use the hotspot.
    Not on a 4, 4s, 5, or 5c on Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post

Agree on the otterbox. They have many models, I use a lighter one than Curtis, but even it makes a huge difference.
    Well, the hack allows you to not get charged an extra $20/mo from AT&T to use data you already pay for, in a different way (I almost never use the hotspot). It would cost $30 or so to get the full version of the 3rd-party app that allows for a full-featured hotspot. The free hotspot app (PDANet) doesn't allow for secure (https) connections. As for the other stuff, honestly, out of the near 5 years I've had 3 iPhones, about 4.5 of those years have been jailbroken, so I've forgotten some of the factory limitations.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

The last update to Android broke the free tethering apps, but developers have been able to hack it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Well, the hack allows you to not get charged an extra $20/mo from AT&T to use data you already pay for, in a different way (I almost never use the hotspot).
    AT&T still charges extra for hotspot? Verizon dropped that when they announce the Share Everything plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    AT&T still charges extra for hotspot? Verizon dropped that when they announce the Share Everything plans.
    Last I checked, but that has been quite some time, probably over a year. Right now I'm eyeballing the new AT&T Family Share plan of 4 devices, 10GB, $160. The problem is that it is a bit of a jump from our 2 devices currently, and we really would only want to add one--daughter just got her learner's permit...yikes!
    Jason

I like my Galaxy S4 Active. Same thing as the S4, except it's water proof (you can drop it in a puddle, then take an underwater picture of said puddle) and dust proof, with an 8MP camera instead of the 10 or whatever the normal S4 has. It's only offered by AT&T though.

daughter just got her learner's permit...yikes!
    Ouch...

We've found good value in our 6th grade daughter having a phone (she had an iPod Touch before so basically the same device plus phone) as she's at more and more things where we aren't there--sports practices, girl scout events, etc. The cost of adding her line to the share plan was a cost savings over our old home landline which we no longer need since we each have a phone. We added the Home Phone Connect for the shop so there would be a fixed phone there with a loud ringer which put us back about where the home phone used to cost but much more utility.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 03-06-2014 at 9:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    Steve can you get rid of the bloat-ware or is it hard wired? Great tip on the browser to sync with the pc.

Myk I hadn't even considered that the phone would have an SD card. That should solve any memory problems I would think.

This is great information folks. Thank You!!
    Some Android phones don't come with SD card capability. Something to check on if that's important. Google for one doesn't believe you need an MicroSD card, you should store things on their (Google's) cloud storage.

She already has an iPhone 4--sans SIM card, so it's just an iPod for now. If there's wifi, she can use a free texting app to get ahold of us (or even call), and our boys also share an old iPhone 4 sans SIMS card, but we homeschool our kids, so they're not often out and about without one of us.
    Jason

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    O.K. I think the light bulb came on! In Wifi mode the phone is simply an access device to some local network. There is no usage on the service provider network; i.e. free wifi at McD's.
    Yes?
    Actually, a "phone" that is not connected to any service plan, like an old phone that you replaced and threw in a drawer, can still be used as a wifi device for free. So using you phone for data stuff over wifi is free because it is not an activity requiring cell service. However, keep in mind SMS(texting) is not a "data" activity. So being wifi connected will not help with savings on texting services. (This was difficult to communicate clearly to my children in the past. It was not made completely clear until the phone was taken away for a week! This was back in the day when most plans had a limit on the number of texts you could send without incurring extra charges.)
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    I think they need to come up with a new name for these "phones". The phone part of is really a very minor piece of how they are used anymore. Maybe call them PCDs (Personal Communication Device) or maybe MAD (Mobile App Device). I just think "phone" needs to dropped from its name. Cause it's not really a phone. That would be like calling a drill press a vertical spindle sander. It can be used for one, but it is hardly it's primary function.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    There are still many Verizon customers getting charged extra for hot spot use. I don't believe all two year contracts from before the Share Everything plan was announced have expired yet. There are also many customers who are keeping their old family plans as they find them less expensive than changing to the Share Everything plan. Most folks I know with Verizon family plans are hanging onto the old family plan for now instead of switching.

As far as Ken's point, I still use my iPhone more for talking on the phone than anything else.