Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box Keepers & Tossers

Box Keepers & Tossers

Out of curiosity, how many of you woodworkers keep the boxes in which your tools arrive? I keep many boxes for small electrical tools as well as hand tools like planes; however, I have noticed many people selling tools devoid of the boxes. So with which group do you align?

Blog Entries
    Depends on the tool and the box. For tools that are old that come with a good box, they are kept. For newer tools with an identifiable box they are kept. For a new tool that will not have added value when my estate transfers to kin or sales, the boxes are recycled.

Some collectors of old tools want the boxes and will buy the box without the tool. Some old boxes are in such bad shape they get tossed into the recycling bin. A few of my tools are stored in the boxes they came in. It is just convenient that way.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I try to keep them. Plastic/metal carry cases for power tools, sure. Boxes for planes and hand tools? Yup. Bubble wrap for screwdrivers and small tools? Yes. I try to slit them open and create a little 'door' through which they can easily be returned to their original packaging. Not so much for any 'value' reasons, but because it is a convenient way to keep them stored, out of the dust, and readily identifiable/discernible when they are in a drawer with other items.

I am a pack rat, I guess...but a neat one...and don't throw much of anything out/recycle unless it really has no use (ever!).

I keep cases for power tools and valuable boxes (like LV and LN boxes, etc) that people would like to see if I dump my planes. For inexpensive stuff, I dump all of the packaging and leave things loose on a rack unless it's something I'm afraid I might not be able to identify quickly without the boxes (like lighting ballasts, etc).

If the original box won't hold accessories, I make a new one out of wood, and recycle the OEM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I keep blow molded cases that came with tools like routers and drill drivers but if it is cardboard, it only remains in my shop until I am sure the device that came in it works correctly. If I saved all the boxes my tools came in, I would have to give up woodworking in order to provide enough cardboard storage.

I keep all the boxes of items purchased new, in the event of resale.

It seems to make a difference as to how long an item is listed.
    With a box, things go quickly.

Same tool, without a box can languish.

Go figure.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I have limited space so I toss most of them. Many times I have regretted it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I am challenged by space. I am split between tosser and keeper. Tools that get used a lot, toss the box. But they have a place in immediate use area. Good tools that are use with some frequency, I keep the case as they are stored in the utilites closet. Cheap tools or "one need of the tool, ever", toss the box to save space. I put them in rubbermaid bins in cabinets - organized by activity (plumbing, electrical, etc...).
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Generally,a tosser.......if we're talking cheap blow molded cases.Rarely have the time in the shop to put tools back in them.Which,more often than not have space in the form of hanging racks,dedicated space,or a drawer in big metal tool cabinet drawer.

Tools/equipment that lives on the truck keep their cases for travel purposes.....they stack better.

Cardbd. gets cut into specific sized pcs for our assembly and finish areas.

Older,usually orphaned.....metal hinged boxes have a special place here.They get their insides modified,then wall hung in a convenient spot next to a pce of equipment.Usually painted to match equipment(literally takes 5 minutes),they serve for convenient tooling space for that machine.Find them at flea mkts.The nice ones have piano style hinges and very good draw catches.And gauge metal thick enough to get the job done.Old Milwaukee bxes are an example.Old Hilti bxs are some of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I keep cases for power tools and valuable boxes (like LV and LN boxes, etc) that people would like to see if I dump my planes. For inexpensive stuff, I dump all of the packaging and leave things loose on a rack unless it's something I'm afraid I might not be able to identify quickly without the boxes (like lighting ballasts, etc).
    Your philosophy seems most in line with mine. A review of eBay and a few others always proves surprising when seeing how much less hand planes such as LN and Veritas bring simply because someone decided to throw away a box.

Mostly a keeper.
    It's probably a carry over from my days of gun buying.
    A gun with the original box and papers fetches a premium price over one w/out.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Reading Val's comment about keeping the "bubble box" for screwdrivers and such reminded me that the plastic bubbles on hardware is often saved for mixing epoxy.

That is a little different than saving the box with an item. It is also a different reason.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I almost never keep boxes for anything once I am satisfied I won't have to return the item. I did keep the box for my plasma TV as it is almost impossible to move without breakage without the box. Many of them broke on the shipping truck with the proper box.

If I'm looking at used tools I really don't care about the box unless something is like new. I would probably recycle the box once I got home in any case. Planes might be different, but I don't buy them.

Since I go through periods where I do not do major project I like to keep the blow molded cases. Actually prefer to purchase tools that come with them. As far as cardboard is concerned, only if the tools is expensive, has many parts or somehow helps with storage. All of it helps me with storage.