Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why use a folding ruler?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Stivison View Post
    When I worked as an electrician for 30 yrs. we all used folding rules because they don't conduct electricity. Alot safer than than a tape measure.
    Curt
    wood WILL conduct electricity , the higher that the humidity is the more electricity the wood will conduct, if you doubt this then hang your wooden handle hammer on a electric fence and turn the fence on, you can test a electric fence by touching the wire with a wooden pole/ dowel , the shock not too -bad if you keep the wood dry, the linemen use a fiberglass pole instead of wood for this reason

I use mine to measure inside dimensions to check drawers and the like when I check for squareness, but prefer a tape measure for most other tasks.

A quick anecdote and advice.....

When I was little I used to play with my dads, uncles and grandfathers rules... I broke a couple of them and retribution was swift...

When we built our house in my late teens I was introduced to an 8ft Lufkin Rule... It was amazing for framing and large projects....perfect for Plywood etc... most were 6ft....

as I am now in my 50's I still have two of them that I use for outside large projects... they are very valuable but hard to find.

They are the most accurate way to get a true inside measurement, that sole use accounts for 99% of the time I use mine.

Blog Entries
    Something else,

When you break a 6 or 8 foot folding carpenters rule, not all is lost. You can get a folding yardstick out of it, and that is the handiest thing.

DAMHIK

I use mine all the time in my shop.

I transfer marks onto it using a pencil.
    They're easier for me to get measurements longer than 30" or so, where my tape "collapses" under it's own weight.

For inside measurements, I've taken to using two wooden rulers, back to back with a spring clamp.

I particularly like wooden rules with a brass extension for inside measurements to check a box for square,
    across the diagonals. The outside hook measurements are coarse, only.

I get the impression that folding rules and zig-zag rules are being lumped together here. They certainly have different attributes. can't see a true folding rule being 6 feet long or measuring ceiling heights, but maybe my imagination is lacking?

Jim

I figured all you folding ruler people who chimed in may get a kick out of this. It belonged to my grandfather and I used it as a kid. He is 97 now and can't remember where it was from but he thinks his father bought it, but unsure of the year. It is marked EM Chapin No 66. I think it is maybe brass and ivory or some type of bone material. I really can't find much about it on the Internet. Super cool item, I may move it down into the shop and start using it after reading this thread!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I know this has nothing to do with "why to use it", but if you were to use a folding ruler this one is pretty cool.

i like my Chesterman folding made at Bows works and there claim was that there steel measuring rules were calibrated to 20 deg C and with in .001. Its also may be that that is the same maker that made the inlaid rule in the table of my Wadkin PK pattern makers table saw.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im...on-Chester.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg
    2.jpg

so i use both wood and steel but i don't have to go get one for the PK Table saw

Last edited by jack forsberg; 03-18-2015 at 9:14 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Jebediah and Jack - nice tools!

Jebediah, you definitely need to bring your Great Grandfather's rule out to the shop and put her to use. What an excellent way to connect with your family's past. And it's such a beautiful tool!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Seems I must have used invisible ink again....

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I like mine for inside measurements. It has a little slide out extension for this purpose.
    Me too. That's about all I use it for.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Like another has said, pencil in the ear, folding rule in back pocket! Was taught that way in Diman Regional Vocational HS (class of 70). It took many years for me to warm up to the measuring tape, but that's progress, I suppose. Why use one, well for one, it's ridged and stays where you put it - helpful for registering. Also excells at alignment, since a pencil mark and the fraction markings "touch" when laying the ruler on them. Then there's the depth (guage) stick, if so equipped. Aaaah, those were the days!

I've got a couple in my tape drawer, but they rarely see the light of the shop anymore. 😔

I found a couple of them at Lowes a few months ago marked down to $1. They were too cool to pass up, so I bought 2 of them for my kids to play with. The backs were marked for bricklaying with about 20 different brick spacings.

Steve

I have a small plastic one, it's not very high quality but it comes in handy surprisingly often, and I tend to use it as a miniature square since it can lock in 90 degree positions, though again, not very exact.