Thread: Shop made grinding jig?

Shop made grinding jig?

Has anyone made their own gouge/tool grinding jig?
    The grinding jigs such as made by Oneway seem like a relative simple device that could be cobbled together like other woodworking jigs.

The reason I ask - in fit of indiscretion I found myself ordering a Nova DVR XP today (are Turners more prone to stoke and mental illness?)
    Having crossed that bridge - I'm starting to look at other necessities (haven't done any turning for quite a few years - so I'm starting from scratch equipment-wise).

I already have a slow speed grinder that I got through Woodcraft a couple of years ago and will need a grinding jig.

Who's using a shop-made jig or is this a bad idea for some reason?
    Stan

I made my sliding base and 3 varigrind attachments 6-7 years ago. I'm retired and time was not not a big issue. If I was starting today and knowing the time I put into it, I would purchase the Oneway Wolverine Sharpening System. I do like my Varigring equivalents more than the Oneway, won't hit the side of the wheel on a swept back grind.
    PM me with your email address and I will send Pix if you wish.
    Joe

Ithink you will find the Woodcraft grinder much smoother and vibration free than homemade. #1 on the wolverine guide.

4. I have and recommend the wolverine jig.........can't be beat! that said, before I got it I made a shop built one, and it did pretty well. Here is an article on one..........there are probably others you can find if you will search the net......

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sharp.shtm

good luck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Most wolverine users 'set it and forget it' as far as the varigrind is concerned. This can be duplicated in wood and be very usable. Doug Thompson has a full sized picture of how he wants the varigrind set, and the raptor setup jigs publish directions too. You could use them as a template for creating a wood or aluminium holder. As for the arm, I'd stick with wolverine.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kaufman View Post
    I made my sliding base and 3 varigrind attachments 6-7 years ago. I'm retired and time was not not a big issue. If I was starting today and knowing the time I put into it, I would purchase the Oneway Wolverine Sharpening System. I do like my Varigring equivalents more than the Oneway, won't hit the side of the wheel on a swept back grind.
    PM me with your email address and I will send Pix if you wish.
    Joe
    I thought about making my own for a month or two, but never did anything. I finally coughed up the money and have never looked back. Check out the Oneway website videos on how to use their jig, and also the video of Doug Thompson demonstrating his sharpening technique recently linked here by Reed Gray. If you assume a 50% markup in retail, the amount Oneway is getting doesn't seem excessive for the time they've put into this jig. The only issue I've ever had is the cam locks slipping on the pockets that slide in and out under the grinder. I saw Doug Thompson giving them a good bump with his hand each time he engaged them.

Welcome back to the vortex. You might just want to keep your wallet out for awhile.
    Last edited by Doug Herzberg; 03-06-2014 at 6:45 AM.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Stan, I too have the Oneway system, but check out Eddie Castelin's website. He shows how to make your own if you are so inclined.

john

You can make your own in a couple of hours and some scrap 3/4" plywood.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

+1 for Capt. Eddie. Great deals on carbide too.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Good input guys. You've given me a few things to consider.

Years ago I did primarily spindle turning and hadn't considered the somewhat different grind on bowl gouges and such.
    That might sway my decision as to trying a shop-build jig.

Having said that - I'm always interested in what folks come up with on their own that works well for them.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kertesz View Post
    You can make your own in a couple of hours and some scrap 3/4" plywood.
    Show me how. - John

My vote is for the Wolverine system as well with the older style gouge jig.
    Whatever you decide don't hesitate to watch Doug's sharpening video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOc6giDP39A
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

After exploring the Doug Thompson website in depth, I see the Wolverine system seems to be the given standard.

I'm impressed by the terrific information and straight-forward opinion on his site too.
    Stan

I'll try posting pictures. The base is fabricated from 3/4" angle and 1" sq. tube. The position is locked with 2 cap screws, not as handy as the Wolverine, but I don't change it that frequently. My varigrind on the right was the first iteration when the setup was used on a 6" grinder. Since I fabricated the setup from material on hand, I didn't cringe quite as much over the purchase price of the CBN Wheel.

Tool Grind 1.jpgTool Grind 2.jpgTool Grind 3.jpg

Here is a sharpening jig I made just for spindle gouges so I can leave my Vari-grind set at the angle I like for Bowl gouges. I cut off a piece of the Wolverine arm. It was longer than I needed and cutting off a bit allowed me to move the grinder closer to the wall. The angle is permanently set at 23 degrees. I used a 1/4-20 tap for the clamping knob and the threaded rod leg.
    my sg sharpening jig (Small).JPG
    God is great and life is good!