Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The One Stone Challenge

Boom! Can't beat a brick, now what brick was it. I here facing bricks are heaps better than commons :-).

David, interested in this and looked up the ebay photos , afraid I don't see any difference between them . What should I see?

Not much, i think. And there's no guarantee I'm right...except the second one, I bought. So I know what it is. The softs like like uniform grained sandy stones. The washitas look less like grainy sand and more like coral. Sometimes it helps to look at a corner (which is what I usually hope for). I think I could get a 90% guess rate, but sometimes it's hard to tell depending on what the stone has on the surface, even when it's mostly clean.

Thanks, David. So much better than "only fools can't see it".

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    NOT iron ROD,iron ORE!!
    Apologies George, my mistake.
    Dave B

Kitchen knives in ski area condos are notoriously dull, as in butter knife dull. A river rock in the fireplace served to sharpen the butcher knife enough to slice BBQ brisket. Next trip I took a good slicer and steel.

I think I'd get one of those mill stones from a grist mill,
    Balance it on my head,
    have a 350 pound eunic hold my sharpening project on it
    while whipping me with a cat-o-nine to maintain a constant
    78 rpm.

If the object is to do something the hard way
    why not pull out all the stops?

sharpening with a single stone isn't doing things the hard way. It does replace equipment with skill to some extent, but I'd say spending several minutes on 4 or 5 different stones is a lot closer to doing things the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kman View Post
    I think I'd get one of those mill stones from a grist mill,
    Balance it on my head,
    have a 350 pound eunic hold my sharpening project on it
    while whipping me with a cat-o-nine to maintain a constant
    78 rpm.

If the object is to do something the hard way
    why not pull out all the stops?
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    William Paley

The only people who would have your reaction are those who haven't tried it. I gave it a shot yesterday, some older berg chisels -grinder to a single stone. I tried a soft ark and then a lily white, both performed well - didn't even strop, just whacked the burr with the chisel on the flat. Mortised 8 butt hinges in hard maple, touch ups were a breeze, just as fast as any other stone, finished product was great. Edge held just as long as off an 8k water stone.

I like the premise of this thread, but how would it work with a hodge-podge of different types of steels? Not that I am dissatisfied with my current setup in any way, just curious. A grinder and two stones still seems like the best bet in this situation.
    Last edited by Darren Brewster; 03-09-2014 at 1:12 PM. Reason: Spelling

If your hodge podge is vintage and modern O1, it's fine. If your hodge podge is 01 and A2, then you should stick with modern stones due to the A2 - a grinder and two stones being ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    If your hodge podge is vintage and modern O1, it's fine. If your hodge podge is 01 and A2, then you should stick with modern stones due to the A2 - a grinder and two stones being ideal.
    I have mainly O1 but also some A2 tossed in. I really don't know anymore which is which and use the same sharpening methods for all. To me, a repeatable methodology will give consistent results. to gain repeatable methodology means learning your sharpening stones, your tools and same body motions whether free-handing or using a jig.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Yeah, I figured as much. I have vintage and modern O1 and A2. I still like this system though.

Does anyone just freehand to a convex bevel? I use a black Arkansas stone and a strop for 95% of my sharpening. And I've got almost all A2 steel as well. I switched over to that method maybe a year ago and won't be switching back, it's faster than anything else I can imagine. Maybe I'm not getting my blades as sharp, but I sure can't tell (they seem to shave hair off my arm as well as I was able to do when I was using shaptons). Since I've switched over to convex bevels, my grinder has been largely collecting dust as well.

I'm sure convex vs hollow grind vs micro bevel is a whole different holy war. I found hollow grinding to be exponentially faster than using a jig to get a micro bevel, and have found freehanding to a convex bevel even faster than bothering with a hollow grind.

I'll tell you what though, I don't really give sharpening much thought anymore. I leave my stone and my stop out on my bench all the time, and when a tool needs sharpened, it gets sharpened.

- Matt

I think there are lots of people who do. I've never favored it over hollow grinding, but it takes me about 30 seconds to grind a plane iron or a chisel to refresh the hollow. If I still had a tormek, which is a fair amount of fiddling, I could be convinced.