Thread: Shaper?

Shaper?

Hello again:

I just saw this shaper on CL:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/4361625066.html

I have only used my router in a router table I have built. The router is the smaller PC unit (1+ hp), not the 3+hp unit, I don't remember the model (660 maybe?). At times, I am pushing the unit too hard for its HP. Would this shaper be a good shop addition? Are shaper cutters pretty standard size (bore, etc)? How much do you guys use your shapers? Would it be better to have a stronger router and use it in the table when necessary?

Thanks
    Steve

That's a pretty good deal on a light duty shaper. I wouldn't raise panels with it, but it's perfect for what it seems it was used for, T&G, round overs, door sticking. The tooling is a nice bonus, as long as it's in good shape. Cutters are available in different bore sizes, just get the size you need or a size bigger and reduce it with a bushing.
    Hope this helps,
    Paul

That would be a fun way to get your feet wet with a shaper without much investment. The size of the opening in the table will limit the style of cutter you're using, like Paul says. There are plenty of 1/2" and 3/4" cutters available that should fit.

I'd also look at whether there is any provision for dust collection and how easy to fence operates. In the photo it appears that only the infeed side of the fence is adjustable. That seems pretty typical for older shapers and makes setup more fiddly.

Also, I would guess that there aren't parts available for one of these unless they happen to be interchangeable with something currently being produced like a Grizzly. This is especially important if you want to track down a router bit adapter.

If you like using a shaper, you'll quickly want something bigger. You could get a lot of use out of a smaller one, though. I think the risks involved in learning how to use a shaper are reduced with smaller machines. In my (limited) experience, even a smaller shaper is capable of better cuts than the average router/router table.

We use ours a lot.The smallest is an ancient C-man 1/2".It's our bead runner.Dosen't take up much realestate and is just a pleasure to use.Wouldn't recommend it as the "only" shaper,just saying if you buy a smallish shaper,then get something larger.....it'll still get used.

And for folks that have these old C-man shapers;The table/motor configuration is backwards from the factory.You can very easily put the motor in the front(instead of hangin out back,effectively dbling the footprint....I think you have to drill one minor hole?).May not work with the stock leg set.....but an easily built cabinet improves that as well.

Just an FYI,you can really improve a router table with an air nozzle pointing up,twds motor(we use copper 1/4" refrigeration line,easily bent,solder'd to whatever quick connect couplings that work with your shop air hoses).Basically.you're trying to improve the airflow and cooling of the motor.It's effective when pushing them hard.Make sure it compliments your DC.

We had a small Craftsman like this when I grew up. Router tables were invented after this was built. Large routers came even later. I bought one like this in the early 80s after college. They cut well and a 1hp motor like this is like a 2-3HP router as these motors aren't rated in "developed" HP like routers. I believe it has a 1/2" spindle. Check EBAY for great deals on 1/2" and 3/4" shaper cutters.

The big upside to this over a router table is no router screaming motor. WAY quieter.

6. That's ol' 3-finger Jimmys shaper right there !

Much easier to use and with the cutters it is a BARGAIN....
    You would not regret it...

It might be fun for you if the cutters inspire you to try new things. No good for heavy cuts but fine for making nice things in not too big a hurry.