Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Granite top counter advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Now I am starting to worry. I have looked at numerous homes with granite countertops and never seen one over 3/4" thick, not counting the edge treatment. Many were 5/8". I have gone to several granite places, and all their pre-made slabs are 5/8 to 3/4 thick. If I need it to be 1 1/4" thick, that really changes things.

If I doubled the 3/4" ply, would that help?
    Rick my house is 1 year old and I went with granite countertops throughout the house. All are 1.160 to 1.180 inches thick, this granite isn't anything special I selected from the list of builder grade granite and that was the standard thickness. The granite top on my island is 75 inches long and has a 12" over hang along its entire length with nothing under the granite supporting it. Those L brackets don't even touch the granite underneath, purely decorative. Also unless your base cabinets are absolutely flat and level which is unlikely they will shim the granite level which means it probably won't even be resting on the plywood if you extend it out. They shimmed mine and secured it with silicone. In a year of use I have no worry about the granite cracking off with a 12" overhang, 18 inches might make me nervous just from the weight and leverage. With a 12" overhang that's about 1/3 of the total depth which seems a good ratio. I also love this square craftsman edge on the granite, it makes it look even thicker compared to other edging. Note also the Travertine tile backsplash, love the raw stone look of that and used it in the bathrooms as well.

h5.jpg

Sorry I haven't added anything here. The granite guy has had to change appointments twice. He is supposed to be here today at 4. We did go twice to a large showroom/warehouse of granite (AZ Tile), and found that the standard thickness is 2CM (3/4"), with maybe a third available in 3CM (1 3/16") special order.

Hopefully, we will have some answers this afternoon.

That kitchen looks very nice Charles. If you extended out the short end of the island 18", put legs 38" C/L apart, that is pretty much what I am talking about.

Rick Potter

3. I'd try to locate some other granite suppliers Rick, 3/4 inch is awfully thin imo.

Well, this is getting a little old. The first appt. he called and said he was running very late, rescheduled for later. Later came, and he missed appt. two, no show, no call. We called him again, and he said he would be here today at 4. No call, no show again. That makes strike three, and you're out.

One thing that really bothers me is that he never bothered to call....twice. That is rude. I don't do that to others, and I don't give my money to people who do.

Sorry about the post, I really expected to know something by now. Starting over.

On a good note, I got a lot of the cabinet done today while waiting for him. I want to thank you all for the good information. If I ever learn what they do locally, I will post it.

Rick P

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    No call, no show again. That makes strike three, and you're out.
    You are way too kind and generous Rick. If a contractor does not show up for a new job appointment, I loose the number right away. I had one no show, no call contractor called me nearly a year later. I was surprised first, had no idea what he was talking about but quickly recovered and had him come by to tell him on his face that I don't do business with "professionals" like him. He was not happy. I know some of you here make your living as contractors and probably thinking that I was out of line. If that's what you are thinking, you don't get it and you are not any different; you may be making money selling your services but not a "professional".