Thread: Heater Placement Advice

Heater Placement Advice

I recently purchased a standard size (model: SALPHA15120) radiant infrared heater through Lee Valley, which I believe is made by Solaira. The installation instructions specify they be mounted 6' 7" from the floor and 12" from the ceiling. Unfortunately, I didn't have the minimum installation requirements prior to purchase, and my basement is only 7' from the concrete floor to the floor joist above (it's an unfinished ceiling).

I e-mailed Solaira to ask about any safety concerns, and understandably, they couldn't offer anything other than what is recommended by UL and CSA requirements.

Anyone willing to weigh in with advice? I don't know how hot the unit's case gets as I was waiting to install it until I was sure it would be okay. Additionally, with the way these operate (i.e. heat objects and not the air), am I going to run into any issues regarding objects literally becoming "too hot to handle?"

I have no problem providing a written release statement to anyone that may be leery of offering advice contrary to minimum specifications. Looking for any first hand experience with these units, or advice from electricians/general contractors.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

I am no expert but bet the floor clearance is for safety of hitting with head. I would be more apt to make sure ya follow the l2" clearance from ceiling.

good point Eugene. That actually never crossed my mind.

That looks like the kind of heater you should use if you are exhausting your dust collector outside. Says it heats objects, not air.

Very slight tangent........

Was in the shop yesterday whistling and working away(12 hr days)....and noticed the Sun gleaming through the window,showing the tell-tale effects of dust particle "flow" in this particular section of shop.It was almost perfect.Not moving fast enough to cause any real problems....in fact,you really have to just stand very still to even feel the airflow.This is without the air scrubber/filter on.....but there was a ceiling mounted(horizontally oriented)fan in another part of the shop,"racetrack" style.By the time the air goes around the 100 or so ft of walls,to where I was working,without the air scrubber,it's lost almost all of it's velocity.Juuuust enough that it "washes' the area.

Point of above rambling is to illustrate how important your heater's location is.I'd want it to enhance any and all airflow designed into the shop,not just throw it up and hope it works(not that you're doing that).It's possible a paid-for visit from a HVAC guy to help with all of this might just be worth it.But find somebody who's into auto shop style heating....not the typical residential guy.While he's on the clock....pick his brain about any other concerns.Pay him in cash....when leaving,hit him up for a squirrel cage and some scrap duct,haha.Good luck.

Brian, appreciate the comments, but the area I will be working is only 8x10. While I'm sure I could get the most bang for the kW with some professional advise, in this instance I feel comfortable selecting a spot to hang it.

Jim I will be only using hand tools down there (and a mortiser). Not saying they don't generate sawdust, but generally it's not as much, nor as fine. I do have a few machines for some of the heavy stock breakdown, but they're isolated in the garage .

Jeff

Blog Entries
    Dad has had one of these for years. He was lucky in that his shop met the installation recommendations. The heater does heat what it is aimed at, not the environment. Therefor your placement is predetermined; it has to aim at what you want to heat. That is; you standing at the bench (this is what dad did), you standing at the lathe, whatever. I have heard of people using infrared heaters aimed at metal tool boxes or metal cabinets to take advantage of the resulting radiant heat but, this is not very inefficient dollar-wise. Decide where you will be standing when you want the heat and finagle the heater to aim at this position while not being in a place where you may walk into it or hit it while maneuvering material. BTW, the heater works great as designed and is a bargain in that arena.

P.s. The light isn't really worth much but, the heater will cook you if you stand in front of it too long (and this is a good thing) ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Figured there was no better way to see what I'm working with than to just plug it in. Couple notes so far... It does indeed radiate heat from the top, so the 12" minimum is necessary.

I noted when hanging the unit a sticker which specifies respectively greater distances as the unit sizes increase. IMO, this would indicate that there is more at play than just head clearance with the minimum height above floor specifications.

It's been running for about 30 minutes so far and I would venture to say the field of regard that the unit can heat is definitely more conservative than advertised. I can feel some minimal warming approximately 6' directly in front of the element, and maybe a little warmth (if I close my eyes and concentrate really hard) up to 4 feet 45 off each corner.

Will post more info as I discover

I've used the Lee Valley heaters . They concentrate the heat in one spot to much for me. Then I thought "if I could only spread that heat out a little". That inspired me to try heat lamps. Didn't use the Lee Valley heaters after that.

I use 8 250 watt heat lamps above my benches. My shop is 20x30 with 11' ceilings and uninsulated. When it's 40F outside,it gets 70F to 80F around the bench area in less than an hour. Then I turn off every other lamp and it stays around 65F. At 10F outside I have had up to 20 heatlamps on and it gets above 60F in the whole shop.

The corners of the shop stay cool but that's where I'm most active and need less heat. The heat is mostly for glue drying and comfort at the benches.

An added plus is the heat lamps last much longer than standard incandescents and you get light and heat for the same dollar. Another thing I like is all the cast iron tops are warm. It's a nice color light too, I like it more than fluorescents alone. Heat lamps come in 150 watts as well.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Look a the advertised picture
    is that 12"
    http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...,43465&p=44590
    Carpe Lignum

Phil, no, it sure doesn't. However, I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I am actually talking about a different unit: Standard Infrared Quartz Heater, 27K08.50

For what it's worth, I ended up moving the unit a bit further away from my work area. You can definitely feel the heat from this unit. I'm now at a 7' standoff from my bench, and my thermometer says 65. Without the heater, the basement runs between 51-55 degrees.

Jeff

Andrew, thank you very much for the tip/idea. For some reason, going the localized route never crossed my mind. I'm going to pick up a warming lamp to hang over my sharpening area, which is out of the quartz heater's reach. Simple and cost effective. Thank you.

Jeff

Hi Jeff.
    I've got a couple of the Lee Valley radiant heaters. Although my ceiling is actually just 8' high, it does make you have to be aware of where it is. The pull cord dangles down on mine and when I feel this cobweb like sensation realize I'm right under it and to be aware. I've aimed it at my back from about 7-8 feet aware for when I'm just working at my bench & don't want to heat the entire shop. I'll probably mount the other one to do the same around my lathe. I can't speak to how comfortable it would be radiating into your face, but on your back sure feels good when the shop is cold. Realizing that the recommended tolerances could have a bearing on an insurance claim (God forbid) I believe putting a reflective non combustable material above the unit might offer you logical (albeit not perhaps legal) piece of mind. My heater housing gets hot to the touch but when it's mounted (tiny little 3" brackets) I can slip my hand between it and the ceiling and not get burnt. (unless of course I bump the actual housing then Eowwww!) I like 'em. But as others have said, they are designed to heat a small area (with you in it I think) rather than a genuine shop heater. My 25 cents