Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowl holding options?

I described my method in another thread earlier. You can find it here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?205735-Jam-chuck-versus-Straka-chuck-question I just used this method again last night for a bowl. I like it because it is fast cheap and secure. I haven't tried to take it off the chuck yet, but I am worried that I used too much glue, and this bowl is thinner than most I turn. I am concerned that it will break when I try to remove it. Good luck.
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 03-10-2014 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Fixed link
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

One design feature I insist on for turn-around chucks is that they do not require removing the chuck. There are so many simple and fast methods.

Again, thank you for the insights. I like the idea of an "innie" with a tenon held in the chuck. May try to turn one of those.

Brian, I think you may have grabbed the wrong link?

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Brian, I think you may have grabbed the wrong link?

Doug
    Yep! I think it's fixed now.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

The easiest friction chuck is a piece of pipe(1/2 ID at Lowes) 6" to 16" with a glued on concave wood block on the end. The pipe fits perfectly in the inside jaws of most chucks and provides a strong and straight conection to the chuck. Bring up the tailstock with a 1/4" flat point and turn the bottom. You can do this before you can say colejaws. This fits in the bowl or vase bottom and is very stable. While it's there go ahead and sand/finish the piece and then trim the 1/4" nipple.
    Last edited by robert baccus; 03-10-2014 at 10:43 PM.

I have turned everything from bowls to mostly closed forms using a jam/friction chuck to finish the foot. I typically put a high quality paper towel folded in quarters on my closed chuck jaws and put the inside of the bowl against that. Then I use the live center (sometimes without the center pin) to press against the bottom of the bowl. I turn the foot leaving an inverted cone, and stop when the nub is 1/4" or so. I cut that off and sand it smooth. If my chuck doesn't fit inside the form, I turn a 2" or 3" diameter wood rod held in my chuck and use that against the inside of the bowl.