Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Reliable Pen Kits

Most Reliable Pen Kits

I am thinking about making pens for next year's Christmas presents for my staff and family. Because of my particular career, I won't have time later, so I have to do it soon. (As a pastor, Christmas is my business )

1) What, in your experience, is the most reliable mechanism?

2) What is the most reliable mechanism under $10 / kit

3) I know I can make these with or without a mandrel. Which mandrel or "between centers" do you recommend system do you enjoy the most?

Thank you everyone. I have seen threads from 2004 and 2007 with recommendations but I am looking for updates.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    The $2 pens and the $10 pens pretty much use the same twist mechanism... if you want to be (more) sure they last, you'll want to purchase an upgraded mechanism (some guys on IAP sell them). Other than that, all pens in that range are pretty similar in terms of the other bits/baubles. You get more plating options as you move closer to the $10 range, but that's pretty much it.

For turning between centers, I use a 60 degree dead center in the headstock and a 60 degree live center in the tailstock.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Brian

The cigar kit is pretty much indestructible, I've found. I have both between center bushing and mandrel bushings. I know that between centers is the current recommended way to go, but I've not had a problem using a mandrel, and I've found it to be quicker since I can mount both blanks at the same time. When you are doing quantity, that can make a big difference.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Brian,
    I have found that the most reliable platings are chrome, any titanium and rhodium. I carry a 24K gold cigar in my pocket all the time and I have found that the black on the center band and on the cap will wear off leaving the exposed brass. I have had really good luck with the Penn State Gatsby twist mechanism. Those with the above plating all fall within your price range. It is also a single tube pen so production is much quicker. I also like the twist mechanism on this pen much more than the Woodcraft Wall Street II.
    HTH
    Steve

Anything wrong with this as a dead center?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1THAZDOWP300U

For the ladies I always use the slim pens, For men, they seem to prefer the "Comfort Pen" from Pen State. The mechanisms in the twist pen kits should not give any problems.

I just started turning pens a few months ago. I really like the Veretex, bolt action, any long woods, and slim lines. Slims are my main one now since I have too many people I like to give pens to. Plus they are way easier on the pocket book. I use a mandrel and really like it but have never tried the centers. The mandrel seams like a better way to learn on. There is a lot of mistake pens that are useable and that's why I recommend the slims. I would like to do more Veretex but I already liquidated all my poor husband funds. The only way my Warden will give me funds is for pens to make for birthdays and other special events. I use 4+ coats of CA glue on a shop towel and sand with the pads to 12000 grit. I recommend sanding the unfinished wood from 320 on, carefully, with the plastic finishing bushings so the metal bushings don't impregnate the wood. My earlier pens have that problem of impregnation. That's why there are a lot of give aways. My recent give aways had too much finish sanding and sanded through the finish. Took me a little while to figure out that is what was happening. Let me know if u have any other questions. I am slowly learning to. I can do about 1 pen a night given no learning problems. Which translates to about an hour for one pen and from glueing sleeve to pressing parts.

Karl

The cigar pens are really good one of my best sellers. I use the Patrizio as my carry pen because it's easier on my pockets. The patrizio is also good sized for either males or females

I have found the diameter of the comfort sized pens to be quite universal.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Brian,
    I have just started turning pens last month and have been using this mandrel:http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK...l?prodpage=1PK I have bought several types of twist Pen Kits from three (3) suppliers and can't see much difference in the moving parts with the exception of a few Majestic pen kits that cost considerably more at $12 a piece. My guess would be if you are giving them to family and staff you would want a quality pen kit. If you buy a quantity, you can get some nice kits for $10 a piece. A few examples would be the Apex, Sculpted, Crown Jewel, Compson and Cigar just to name a few from PSI. Here is a Majestic with an inlay I just finished for someone. The picture is not good, but you can see the pen details. It has a heavy feel to it and has a quality transmission.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Glass; 03-09-2014 at 9:17 AM.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Why do they sell tubes separately? Are these often messed up?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Why do they sell tubes separately? Are these often messed up?
    Yes. But when you're in production mode, having extra tubes means you can assemble a lot of blanks ahead of ordering the kits. Of course, once you get ahead in the tube department, you have all you ever need. Also, you can also create custom-length pens.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I like to have extra bodies made so if someone wants a different metal than what I have made, I can press them together quickly and have one complete. I find this especially with the bolt action pens. I have found bolt action pens sell like crazy.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I found a nice way to have some fun with this. A set of 8 that gives me different styles and finishes to try. I ordered the 60° dead center from a store on Amazon.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK...l?prodpage=1PK

• Two Slimline Twist Pen Kits (24kt Gold and Satin)
    • Two Comfort Twist Pen Kits (24kt Gold and Satin)
    • Two Designer Twist Pen Kits (24kt Gold and Satin)
    • Two Trimline Twist Pen Kits (24kt Gold and Gun Metal)

A great pen, and also the best pencil mechanism I've run across, is the Liberty kits from lazerlinez . com. (He also makes a matching pen kit) But it exceeds your $10 limit... American made SS. Both pen & pencil use standard Sierra type tubes.

I use the between center bushings from JohnnyCNC at penturnersproducts . com. Also American made.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2