Thread: Proj2: Chip/Curlie Corral

Proj2: Chip/Curlie Corral

My end goal was to control chips (curlies hopefully) and allow light as well as air flow to the lathe.
    This allows me to keep my “Comfort cart” close by. (Heater and AC)

When not needed it is held back against the wall with Velcro.
    Track is conduit and shower curtain hooks.
    Mesh is 3/8” X ½” but probably nothing larger than ¼” X 3/8” could make it through. Probably even smaller than that unless it hit “just” right. That don’t state but I would guess about six pound test.
    Does catch some curies but a light shake clears them.
    I had to add some bolts at the bottom for weight.

It comes 13 feet wide and I could have gone to the floor but instead just cut it in half so it is 6.5’ long.
    If you have tall ceilings (12’) you can still go ceiling to floor.

Netting is 45 cents per linear foot, 13 foot wide. Item OR38-C
    http://www.memphisnet.net/category/netting_bird_protect
    They did have to call be back with shipping. Probably no one had ordered such a small amount (20 ft).

Shop Net 002.jpgShop Net 003.jpgShop Net 001.jpg
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I like it. Think you came up with something here much better the shower curtains.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I had no idea that netting like that would be so cheap. Thanks for sharing the idea and the source.

I keep looking at the "privacy curtains" at the hospitals with the mesh at the top and fabric at bottom but have never checked into availability or cost. I like the mesh idea for ventilation, but like my shower curtains for turning wet wood and also helping to contain dust since I use a hood. I wish the shower curtains had some mesh at top, but have found oversize (7 and 8' high) curtains at Amazon. Turning can really be a messy activity in the shop and making a turning station does help keep the surrounding area cleaner.

I like the idea. My shop is full of chips, so a curtain would help a lot. Thanks for posting the pics.

That is a very good idea, I don't mind sweeping up chips but hate the ones that get onto/into other projects and tools.

Looks good! Nice to be able to see and hear through it. My only concern would be that all the curlies would get caught in the netting and it would never be clean.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll