Thread: Finish Restorer?

Finish Restorer?

Hello, does anyone use this and know what it is and how to make your own? This is primarily used for old, antique type furniture. It seems to do a really nice job; I'd never seen it's results till just yesterday although I'd heard of it.

It works basically like a cleaner (even removing to some extent water marks) and also leaves a liitle sheen after use. You wipe with a damp cloth or even with some soap to remove the surface dirt and then apply the finish restorer with cloth and then buff dry. I smelled it and it smells somewhat familir and solvent like, but I don't know wht it is. I wonder if it has some wax in it or something else to give the slight sheen. It also contains some pigment which I guess helps blend blemishs etc. I was surprised what an improvement it made. Although cleaning alone does offer quite an improvement too. I wonder how it compares to Olde English scratch remover.

I wonder what just paint thinner alone would do. Thank you.

The literature says that it contains mineral oil, solvent, and stain. Mineral oil is apparently an oil that is derived from petroleum.

My wife used it on a bed and dresser that had a beat up, scratched, lacquer finish and it worked really well. The product was Restor-A-Finish it l has a really strong solvent order. Its applied by wiping with a rag, I think it must soften the finish and the wiping action moves finish into the scratched areas. Bought it at an antique store they had it a few differant colors. The instructions say not to use a ploy finish over it.
    Last edited by william watts; 03-10-2014 at 3:19 PM. Reason: poly finish
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

I live in the south but I'm from the north.
    Quote Originally Posted by william watts View Post
    My wife used it on a bed and dresser that had a beat up, scratched, lacquer finish and it worked really well. The product was Restor-A-Finish it l has a really strong solvent order. Its applied by wiping with a rag, I think it must soften the finish and the wiping action moves finish into the scratched areas. Bought it at an antique store they had it a few differant colors. The instructions say not to use a ploy finish over it.
    You can't use poly over a lot of finishes.

I think the restorer has binding agents and probably some wax too. Which isn't bad at all.

Don

I think the restor a Finish is the one I used and seems like a good product. There are only a few on the market and one is outrageously priced.

I wonder if it really does dissolve any of the old finish, that would be very very trick it seems. They do tell you not to put it on heavy, so tht's a warning. The "liquid sandpapers" do soften the finish some apparently to better take a new finish.

But the product does give you a new outlook an an old piece of furniture that looks drab and dull and old and like it needs refinishing. Whatever it is, it sure perks up the piece. Of course a good wipe down with a damp cloth would be quite an improvement in itself. The color obviously helps too.