Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highland Woodworking BS blade

Highland Woodworking BS blade

I have to place an order with them and was thinking it would be a good time to try their woodturners blade since I already have to pay shipping. I love their woodslicer . Any one use one and if so what did you think of it ? Thanks
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

I use this blade and personally really like it. It tracks fairly small diameters well. Remember though that this is coming from somebody that has very few other blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    I use this blade and personally really like it. It tracks fairly small diameters well. Remember though that this is coming from somebody that has very few other blades.
    Same here -

Scott:

This is one of my favorite blades for cutting bowl blanks, I think you'll like it.

Richard

I bought one last week .. plan on putting it on next week and trying !!!

I have had several of them, and as long as you keep your blanks fairly flat, they work ok. Minute you get a wobbly one one there, it'll pull the blank through the throat plate! It's pretty aggressive but it sure cuts the green wood well. My only complaint is that the welds aren't always lined up so well. But Highland has always made good on it, no questions asked.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I use them for my High School Shop bandsaws since we mainly cut green bowl blanks on them. They hold up good and gut green wood great. They sent me the wrong size once and I called them to see about getting the 3 blades changed for a blade that wood fit the saw. They shipped me new blades that week and told me to keep the bands that would not fit. I will have them cut down to fit the little delta saw in our shop some day.
    Jack

I find them to be a great blade and cut green wood well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks to all. Guess I'll place my order.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

I bought a couple after another Creeker, maybe Jim Underwood recommended them. I like them better than the TW AS blade. Given my saw and guide combination, they seem to track better.
    faust

I just tried one of these blades on my Rikon 10-325 today and WOW! Used it to turn 20 Ash bowl blanks and it works so much better than the 3/8" Timerwolf I have been using. Blanks from 4" diameter to 10" in diameter, with an average thickness of 5-6" worked great. No problems with bogging down the saw, even with an 8" thick green blank on a radius. I am picking up some walnut logs tomorrow and will report on how this works, but the Ash should have been a tougher customer than the walnut will be.

Never tried them. When I got my first bandsaw, another woodworker (I wasn't into the round world then) told to go to a local guy who carried the Lennox blades. He is one of those guys who forgot more about bandsaw blades than I ever learned. I have been using the Lennox Diemaster Bimetal blades. I know others make bimetal. Thing with it is that The body of the blade is a softer metal, and the teeth are a much harder metal. Works wonderfully, cuts for a long time, and can be easily resharpened. Also, if you hit a nail, it may dull the blade slightly, but doesn't ruin it. I prefer the thicker 1/2 inch blades (don't know the .000s of it) which will cut a 6 inch diameter with no problem. I have a friend who was using some thing else, TW I think, and he tried one. Now that is all he uses. He has been turning for 50 years or more.

robo hippy

I got the 1/2 inch version for resawing and worked like a champ for about a day. I hit a nail hidden in a board (lots of bad words) I really want to get a new one since it worked so well until then. Just been too lazy to order it.

After going through many many HHS band saw blades, I finally bit the bullet and bought a Lenox carbide tipped blade off of Amazon. I just checked and they aren't handling them anymore, but if you do a google search for Lenox carbide tipped bandsaw blades you will find them. I have been using it for about 8 months and it still works great. I've cut a lot of rough cut oak lumber that was on the ground and had dirt on it. The regular blades that I was using would last about 2 weeks before they were dull. I've also cut through one #6 sheet rock screw with this blade and could tell no difference in the performance before and after. The blades are very expensive but in my opinion they are well worth it. There are several other suppliers of Carbide tipped blades, including Grizzly but I don't have any experience with them. Just my 2cents worth.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

The Woodturners blade does work very well on green wood. I made the mistake of using one on some dry Mesquite that had a high silica content and it dulled the blade very quick. The same Mesquite blank dulled a Hunters carbide disk in short order also so I can't fault the blade. I bought a replacement and keep dry Mesquite away from it.