Thread: Small square- CC replica

Small square- CC replica

Attached are a few photos of a replica CC square I built. I have a set of CC’s squares and they are fantastic and I wanted to see if I could make a set myself. This is the first one I completed and did just a few things different: 1) I used brass pins vs screws to hold the brass on the edges 2) I covered the bottom with a solid stick of brass, vs cutting out a slot (this allows both a square of clearance in the corner and also looks cleaner I think.

I used O1 tool steel for the blade, black palm and brass. Turned out better than I ever expected.

Attached are some photos along the way.

Using a cheapo this circular saw blade

Last edited by brad jansen; 03-09-2014 at 9:09 PM.

Time to cut it in half

Tapping the 5/16 brass rod

GREAT! project, thanks for posting!!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Blog Entries
    Nice looking squares.

I take it that the two screws allow you to adjust the blade so it is square. What do you use for a reference to adjust it?

Also it appears that the TS was used to cut the slot in the brass edging as well as the wood. Did you use a metal cutting blade in the TS?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Correct, the two screws allow you to adjust it to square. For a reference I used another square....and to final test it, you simply put the square on a straight piece of wood and mark a line, then flip the square over and mark a second line very close to your first. If the lines are parallel, then it is square. That is the best way to check it.

Yes, I used the table saw to cut the slot. It actually worked very well. I used a cheapo $5 circular saw blade as it was the correct width (and cheap). As you can see I made a jig (similar to a tenon jig) to hold the piece tight.

One other thing to note is I used epoxy to glue and pin the 5/8" wide, 1/8" thick brass front and back on. The epoxy was Smooth On EA 40. All of the other parts (i.e. the 5/16" large brass pins, and the 1/4" small brass pivot pin) were put together dry, sanded flat and I just dabbled a bit of super gluearound the edges...and then sanded flat again.

Heading to the garage to finish up the big brother 5" x 9" square now.
    Last edited by brad jansen; 03-09-2014 at 6:16 PM.

Great project. Did you find brass barrel nuts for the adjusting screws, or did you make your own?

Never mind - I just saw where you tapped brass rod.
    Last edited by David Wong; 03-09-2014 at 6:19 PM.

Ok, just finished the big brother. Here is the pair.

Oustanding!! I am very impressed

Jack

Great work!