Thread: low voltage dust collector switch - home made?

low voltage dust collector switch - home made?

I've just gotten my dust collector wired up. It is clearvue, and I used their component -- I think fasco - which is a 120 volt coil that energizes the 240 volt circuit. What I did was use a low-voltage thermostat controlled relay I happened to have in stock which supplies controlled 120 volts for plumbing style pumps. It was probably overkill but was in stock. So basically, with low voltage wire, all I need to do is close the low voltage circuit and that powers the 120 volt supply to the 240 volt thingy, turning on the collector motor.

So now I would like to run low voltage wire around the shop to each machine location where I would have a contactor (switch). I suppose the easiest solution is just buy some kind of switch, but maybe the more elegant way is to rig up a contact for the blast gates. I'm going to be making my own blast gates of wood, so I'm curious what people have done in this regard so I don't have to re-invent the wheel. I was planning pretty simple gates probably similar to http://www.chrisbillman.com/Projects/BGs.htm . Hopefully some pics or links? I apologize for lack of forum searching skills - it probably has been covered, but when I search I get archives which are hard to read and links/images are hard to grok.

Downsides to my installation might be not magnetic - if power goes off when collector is running I would have to remember to turn off contact before leaving shop. But that might be more of a power use cost issue than safety. Wouldn't want it to run overnight, but I don't think I would forget.

I've also built a couple gates like these: http://www.shigshop.com/blast-gate-plans.html for some ceiling mounted gates (over the table saw, router table) so contacts for them could be worked in too.

thanks for any advice, cheers - Jim

I bought a contactor off Amazon for $10 and a cheap remote lamp controller from HD, I think it was $20.

For half an hour of wiring and $30, I have a wireless remote for the DC system.

I did something similar for my compressor. I didn't want it cycling while no-one was there, or at night. I wired another of the same contractor type into the light circuit. Now it will only fire up if the lights are on. The compressor, like the DC, has its own circuit.

good ideas Mark, thanks! I'll google around on that. I'm remote so have to mail order everything.. /jd

I don't even own a remote for my dust collector. Sensor in the panel box, and relay control it. Machine turns on, DC turns on, machine turns off, ten seconds later DC turns off. This allows DC to clear pipes. Adapted from article in FWW, Aug 2000

I stole the recipe here.

http://www.beautifulwood.net/html/wireless_dc.html

i think the original poster put it here or another site

cant remember how long ago, but mine has been in service at least a couple of years.

i trigger it with an X-10 lamp module.

enjoy

dave

I'll take a look at that FWW issue tomorrow, got it out at my shop. Got the dvd out there, need to install it here at home. Not sure it would work with my wiring situation, but before I profess my ignorance will read that issue. Thanks. Jim

One solution I'm considering is to use magnetic door switches, I can get a 10 pack of 'em for around $22 plus shipping: http://www.smarthome.com/77414/Enfor...h-White/p.aspx and just put them on my blast gates. I'm not sure I want to track a remote the way I always lose tools and especially if I'm just dashing in to make a quick cut. I have read a thread about that though and realize people have solutions for that problem. I do like the idea of a delay though ala Bruce's solution. So not decided yet. Thanks for the ideas! cheers, Jim

If you want to use a switch at the blast gates, go buy some surplus Micro switches, you'll often find them with suitable arms to detect when the gate is open....Rod.