Thread: Jointer Knife Sharpening Service

Jointer Knife Sharpening Service

I have two sets of used jointer blades, and have just purchased another couple of sets for about $25 each (including shipping). I have no interest in trying to sharpen the old sets myself, and the new sets were pretty inexpensive. Does anyone know of a service that sharpens blades, and is it worth doing?

I have a jointer jig for my sharpener and have done mine with good results. I'm curious what type of prices you will find and if its something I may not mind looking at doing. I figure shipping would eat a good amount of profit though.

You're local sharpening service will sharpen them. They usually charge by the inch.

My local sharpening guy does almost all of mine. 13,15, and 20 inch planer. 6 and 12 inch jointer, and all but my Forrest 10 and 12 inch saw blades. I think my guy is about 30 cents an inch for jointer/planer and don't remember right off on circle blades but much less than the OEM.

You're local sharpening service will sharpen them. They usually charge by the inch.
    That's the problem - there isn't a local sharpening service within 400kms (280 miles)...in fact, I can't find one. That was why I was hoping for a recommendation I could ship to and from.

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I think Forrest or Wisconsin Knife Works will do a good job. Some local machine shops will grind planer knives concave or convex. It's totally lame but they'll do it - perhaps they don't comprehend their usage. I guess they don't clamp the knife flat or something like that. I've had sawblades sharpened by Forrest and they do a good job.

I started sharpening my knives after I 'popped' for the 3rd set of Delta reversible blades for the 12" planar.
    I built a jig similar to the Duelen ... holding the blades at 42*.
    For sharpening media, I used diamond hones: 600 grit for 1st pass, 1400 grit for 2nd pass.
    I've now been sharpening for about 12 years ... that now includes 12" carbide knives for the jointer, and 12" carbide knives for the planer.
    I couldn't box-them-up to send them off ... as fast as I can sharpen them.

Check out Dynamic Saw (dynamicsaw.com) That is who I use, and I live in central NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Keen View Post
    That's the problem - there isn't a local sharpening service within 400kms (280 miles)...in fact, I can't find one. That was why I was hoping for a recommendation I could ship to and from.
    Do you have a local Woodcraft store? Most, if not all, offer pick up-drop off service.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Puhalovich View Post
    I
    I built a jig similar to the Duelen ... holding the blades at 42*.
    Curious, why 42*? Blades for my DW733 measure 40*.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kman View Post
    I sharpen my jointer knives at 45*, and they work well. I think it's not too critical, kinda like chisels; they can tolerate a fairly broad range of angles.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kman View Post
    I have the DW733, page 7 from the manual:

"SHARPENING KNIVES
    Your planer knives have 1/8" of extra material to allow for resharpening. Ensure the knives are resharpened at the same angle (42°). DEWALT replacement blades (Cat No. DW7332) are available at extra cost from your local dealer or authorized service center."

Got a RAS?
    I followed the links and photos - thanks...what is a RAS?

Do you have a local Woodcraft store? Most, if not all, offer pick up-drop off service.
    Alas no, but I'm going to be in Minneapolis in the Spring - I'll try them - thanks!

I think Forrest or Wisconsin Knife Works will do a good job.
    That's great - thanks!