Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wood for Anarchist Tool Chest

Wood for Anarchist Tool Chest

My next project (now that I'm finally retired and have a good place to work) is going to be a tool chest (C.S. Anarchist Style). I have one problem and one question...

Problem: White pine is scared out here on the South Plains and can only get dimensioned construction stock of low quality. Is there another wood that might work? I can get FAS Poplar in 4/4 or 5/4.

Question: How many board feet can I get?

I think Poplar would be a great wood for a tool chest. I was considering using it myself for a tool chest. Not sure what you were asking? How many board feet to buy? I found via the "Creek" I think, a PDF of an old "Practical_Woodworker" article that provided a number of tool chest designs. One was very similar to the one you mention. Someone here may know where a link is or you may be able to google "Practical_Woodworker"

I would use 4/4 poplar.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Tony, the chest is a fun build and I enjoy using mine. I built it using the swathes of free info on line. If you search LAP blog there is a cutting list burried in there somewhere.

Poplar would be fine. I did actually use EWP for mine just so I could try I wood I was not familiar with. It's very easy working but needs very sharp edges when paring (like any pine I guess). Peter Folansbee also made a vesion of the chest, not sure what his was made from.

One thing for sure is you'll get plenty of practice on the DT's, 100+ of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    I would use 4/4 poplar.
    I think poplar would be great, but I'm pretty sure you want 5/4.

Chris, since I have just disagreed with you, we are going to have to have a throwdown resulting in bile, vitriol, and the inevitable locking of this thread. You better get ready--I am storing up yo momma jokes, to be deployed like scud missiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post

Chris, since I have just disagreed with you, we are going to have to have a throwdown resulting in bile, vitriol, and the inevitable locking of this thread. You better get ready--I am storing up yo momma jokes, to be deployed like scud missiles.
    If they are in fact your yo'mama jokes. Everyone knows that the style of yo'mama jokes most comfortable to use were developed in the 20th century.

<<Now that I've derailed my own thread, poplar it is>>

On a semi serious note, 4/4 in my area often comes rough at 1 1/8" But even at 1", I can usually get 7/8" finished from 4/4 as long it's not heavily warped. 5/4 is nice if you want 7/8 - 1" thick finished stock but it costs more. Since everything today seems to be made from 3/4" or 1/2" stock, I've been using 7/8", 5/8" and 3/8", so 4/4 is often cheaper with less waste for me.

How thick is the stock for the tool chest?

I like working with poplar and I think it would be a good choice. What I don't love is the green with purple. If you're going to paint the chest or deal with staining it, I think it's nice to work that pine. EWP is soooooo fragile. It tears rather than cuts if you're tools are not very sharp.

Last edited by Daniel Rode; 03-11-2014 at 9:38 AM.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

FWIW, the green and purple quickly turn to rich carmel and chocolate browns. The door of that wall cabinet on the left is poplar, and was green and puple when fresh (though I would have been happy for it to stay those colors too!):

Blog Entries
    I know that it's sacreligious, but after watching his video on the 2 day chest, I've become sold that it's a tool, not a piece of furniture, and if I make one, it will probably be plywood for the carcas and popular for the skirts.

I can tell you from experience that the poplar version is a great deal heavier – in the end, though, it works the same. (I've helped Chris in a couple of ATC classes where poplar was used; I built mine out of pine...because my shop is on the second floor – not that could get either version up the stairs without help!)

You listen here you yella bellied, mini smoother makin, cow pie. 5/4 is completely inappropriate. You will throw your back out carrying 5/4 around...4/4 is the correct choice. 4/4 balsa to be exact...that'll be nice and light weight.

End of story!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I happened to have four planks of a brown coloured wood, almost 1" thick in the rough sawn state. Had some old pine scraps as well. IMAG0002.jpgIMAG0003.jpgIMAG0006.jpgone tray is a tote, to carry a few tools to the bench, beneath the traysIMAG0009.jpga plane and a saw til. Raised the panels with just a few planes. Even rebated the backs with a 78 plane.

Great input all. Meghan, great to see your response and interesting point on the weight difference. I don't think I'll be toting this sucker anywhere but working with the carcass might make a difference to me. I seem to have a choice of 1x6/1x8 white pine with minimal knots (whatever that means) or the poplar. I'm leaning towards the Poplar but I've still got just a bit before I order the wood to find a reason to go the other direction.

C.S. did answer my email and suggested cypress. Which the local supplier doesn't have either unfortunately.
    Last edited by Tony Wilkins; 03-11-2014 at 7:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    You listen here you yella bellied, mini smoother makin, cow pie. 5/4 is completely inappropriate. You will throw your back out carrying 5/4 around...4/4 is the correct choice. 4/4 balsa to be exact...that'll be nice and light weight.

End of story!
    Oh yeah? Well listen up pal, I may be coming to the PATINA show. And if I see you there, we are going to settle this like men…

…by exchanging vegetarian recipes.

PS Tony, sorry for continuing to derail your thread. I'll stop now.
    Last edited by Steve Voigt; 03-11-2014 at 8:28 PM.

Stopping Vegetarian recipes is the right thing to do Steve, I totally agree.