Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Plane

Big Plane

I extrapolated Stanley's numbering system (ok, yes I know that I extrapolated their iron plane system while this is a woody) and by my calculations this would be a #67.

Largest Plane.jpg
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-11-2014 at 1:35 PM.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

AWESOME!

Is there a Veritas honing guide that can help me sharpen it? Also, what grit should I use?
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

That's woodwell tools. If anyone ever tells you no good tools come out of china, they are definitely a rebuttal to that. They make excellent tools, as long as you make sure you pay attention to the size of the iron, etc. Anyway, supposing you get a size of a tool useful to you, they put plane and iron together in what appears to be a combination machine made and hand finished for cheaper than you could find the materials.

I wish someone over here seriously carried their whole line of stuff, but the low price of it probably makes it so that it's not that much worth folks' time to do that. Shipping directly from china is iffy on anything bigger than a small packet.

Their very abrasion resistant HSS is excellent in anything that's horror to plane edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    AWESOME!

Is there a Veritas honing guide that can help me sharpen it? Also, what grit should I use?
    Wheel ramps from an auto parts store, combined with a roller creeper. The finish should, of course, be hundredth micron al-ox (I'm not sure if I've seen that, but I've definitely seen 5 hundredths of a micron).

Blog Entries
    So where is the picture with a translucent shaving?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It's there. It's so thin you can see right through it, so it's impossible to photograph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    So where is the picture with a translucent shaving?

jtk
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

It's going to take a big rope to pull that...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    AWESOME!

This might do the trick: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...?p=56737&cat=1

05m0242s6.jpg
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

What a waste of nice rosewood. But,It might be better than someone turning the wood into bookends. Depends.

They must have a lot of that, because they used to make a lot of planes in some brownish ebony. who knows what it is, it's not gabon ebony or macassar, but something very nice.

When they ran out, the planes of theirs that I got came in that reddish wood that that large plane is made of. It's not as classy looking, but it makes really nice durable planes.

Their wholesale price for larger smoother planes is probably $30 or less, and you couldn't get a block of similar dried wood for that over here. There are probably a lot of hardwoods in asia that are just as good as things we pay $40-$50 a bd foot for over here. Well, not to mention, ECE tries to sell an iron similar to what's in the muji planes, though a little more neatly made, for $75-$100. The two planes I got (big continental smoothers), the entire things, were about $65 each retail with HSS irons. There's nothing comparable to them anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    The two planes I got (big continental smoothers), the entire things, were about $65 each retail with HSS irons. There's nothing comparable to them anywhere else.
    Dave, where did you get those? I've seen them on the Woodwell/Mujingfang site, but I can't find them for sale anywhere.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I got one at woodline (who no longer carries them) and the second at woodworker's supply. the only other place I've seen them is directly from china, and china's postal system sucks for any items that big. The cost is outlandish and ruins the deal (chinese sellers sell them for $40, but the shipping is a large fraction of that again and when something gets lost in china post, you never get it or anything back, and it's slow enough that it can blow past paypal's dispute period).

they have gone up a little. I have two. I could cut you a cheapskate deal on the rosewood one. For some reason, I had the impulse to get two (out of fear of something or other) but I would never go through the iron on one in a lifetime of planing.

Found them. Thanks.

http://woodworker.com/9-34-euro-smoo...e&searchmode=2

Those smaller horned ones are kinda neat. I wonder if they are useful.

Aren't they also sold by Japan woodworker?

/p

Mujinfang planes are often available on ebay as well as LV (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...09&cat=1,41182 ). I received a set of 12 hollows and rounds just yesterday from the Song family on ebay. Granted that shipping was high at $48, but given the whole set cost less that $100, I consider it a very good deal. They seem very well made, the bodies being a dense rosewood called shungee.

The irons are very interesting, they're fishtails in the medium to large sizes. I haven't figured out yet why the rounds have a very small ledge outside both sides on the rounds, will have to get back to you on that.