Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini split heat pump

Mini split heat pump

I'm going back and forth on what to choose for conditioning my new shop between a traditional propane forced hot air system and add A/C later or go with a mini split system with heat pump that can do both. Average winter low for my area is in the 20's. 1st floor of the shop is about 850sqft open space with about 500 upstairs. Anyone use this type of heat pump system in a similar area?
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

James,

I installed a mini split system in my shop this summer. I have a forced air duck system heat pump upstairs.

The mini split is great, very efficient and quiet. The temperature in my shop is constant from one end to the other. When my upstairs heat pump system is worn out I plan to add another mini split for the upstairs. Without the ductwork the air coming out of the mini split is hot and very comfortable, you don't get the blast of cold air that you experience with a duct work system.

I had quotes for both a mini split as well as a traditional lp furnace and AC with ducts in my new shop. The traditional system was the less expensive.

I use mini split Mr.Slim system for last 3 1/2 years in my shop. It is heat pump/AC/dehumidifier. Never complain, work very well in my climate (NOVA close to DC). Just clean filters and just recently change one.
    Strongly recommend.
    Ed.

I have a mini split, but just AC unit in my workshop. Love it.

I hear nothing but good things about the Mitsubishi Mr Slim units.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

James, no opinion on the mini split, but when I asked a similar question a few months back, there were no responses that were critical of them. I chose a traditional forced air gas furnace and AC because we get quite cold, and I was worried that the heat pump would not work. It's supposed to be -25 F for a couple days here. Are you installing yourself?

Thanks for the responses. If I am sizing it right for my shop space, a 2 ton system, I can get both heat and a/c with the minisplit for the cost of just heat with a furnace install. I would be doing the install on either choice except the gas hookup with the furnace. I like the idea of no ducts and more office/storage space on the 2nd floor that the mini would afford. Still up in the air, probably be another month before I am ready for heat...
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

If you are looking for a supplier for the system, I just had a really good experience with www.acwholesalers.com and would recommend them. They also have a sizing calculator on their website that you may find useful. It's one of the links on the very bottom. Good luck!

Thanks been checking them out, they are offering some discounts this week as well.

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    Average winter low for my area is in the 20's.
    If you choose a mini-split, make sure the heat pump will work at or below 20 degrees.

On my system, the recommendation states that the outdoor temperature should not exceed below 40 degrees (I have a Gree 12,000 btu), but I live in the South, so no problems there.

You have to consider the way a heat pump works, it is getting heat from air below freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    You have to consider the way a heat pump works, it is getting heat from air below freezing.

I'm easily amused, but I still find it amazing that they can do that. There is a practical limit though. We had an older air to air heat pump in one of the farm houses. If it got below 20, the backup heat would sure make the meter spin. I suppose they are better now, but don't know.

Gas still is cheaper than electric around here

Straight resistance electric yes, but high efficiency heat pumps are great down to the mid-low 30s. Now they can couple them with gas for below that making them even more economical.

Even in the dead of winter in SE Michigan we see a lot of hours above that cutoff.

The units I am considering have operating temps in the 5 to 15 degree range. I know heating with electric is not the greatest cost wise, but I don't heat my shop to 70 when I'm working either, 55-60 is more than comfortable. I'm weighing cost and ease of installation, cost of operation, ability to have heat and a/c effectively... I should be done with the shop by the end of January so heat is on my mind at the moment!