Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: millenniasl are moving back to the city. How will they work wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Isn't it safe to assume that woodworkers are inherently creative, and that mindset would make them very adaptable to many environments?
    This ^^^

Could actually be said about any artist or craftsman. I have several friends who live in urban environments but have their shops either in a remote studio or in a co-op space. You just "go to the shop" when you want to work. Many of us (myself, included) get spoiled by being able to walk right into your garage and do whatever you like but I'm sure folks who don't have that luxury, find a way. Just my 2-cents as always.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I have no idea what a millenial is, nor do I care what they are, what they believe in, where they live, what they do for a living, etc etc etc. If I was of such a group though, I would be doing everything in my power to find a better name than millenial. Why not millinaires

Our kids are Gen X's/Millennials.........they,just like every other "generation" is going to have to figure it out for themselves.But concerning the work enviro,how do you think builders and contractors work in urban areas?Other than parking,it's pretty much just like the country.

4. I'm 34, one year too old to be a millennial, but close enough to give a little perspective.

I think a main difference with the new generation of "woodworkers" is that we don't think of woodworking as it's own, separate, discipline. We don't draw an arbitrary line between woodworking, electronics, gardening, engineering, sculpting, painting, and all the other creative hobbies they have. I make my own cheese, bread, sleeping bags, backpacks, tents, pens, clothes, kitchen knives, I refinish furniture, I fix electronics. It's all the same thing to me. It's all just "making", and we consider ourselves "makers".

Makers are our own subculture, but we aren't necessarily the norm within our generation. We value quality over quantity, and that includes our homes, which explains why so many prefer to live in smaller spaces. Many millennials (and others) are rejecting the big house with a big yard (and a big mortgage from a big bank), in favor of a much much smaller living space, but no mortgage, less debt (except for student loans, which nowadays are about as much as a mortgage), cheaper utilities, and plenty of time and freedom. We do more with less. Recycling, reusing, and reclaiming materials is considered an integral part of being a maker. In a way, it's an act of rebellion against a materialistic and wasteful culture. In many ways makers are just as nostalgic as their parents and grandparents for "the good old days" when things were hand made.

Check out the woodworking section of Instructables, the unofficial home of the maker movement.
    http://www.instructables.com/tag/typ...l-woodworking/
    Most of the people on that site are millennials, or maybe a few years older, and they are making amazing, creative projects.
    Notice in the pictures that many of these people are making things in their kitchens, driveways, living rooms, and any place they can find. If they don't have their own space, they find space in a friends house, or join a Techshop or some other "Maker-space".
    My city has a maker space where you can join for a family membership of $40/month. For that price you get access to a warehouse full of professional quality tools for woodworking, sewing, electronics, metal working, stained glass, 3d printing, drawing and painting, basket weaving, you name it!. They have a community of fellow makers, expert advice, safety training, classes on every kind of skill you can imagine. Thursdays are open house when anyone can use the tools (with safety training). It's run as a non-profit, run democratically by the members. So for the price of Cable TV you can make pretty much anything you can imagine.

I'm way too old to be a millennial, but I am a happy city dweller with a 2 bedroom condo and a big woodworking shop in an old industrial building about 3 miles away. I have had my shop in the basement of 3 former homes, and I much prefer the commute to working with limited natural light and living with wood dust. If it ever gets warm again in Chicago, the walk to the shop will even be pleasant!