Thread: Ideas for DIY dust collection for jointer/planer

Ideas for DIY dust collection for jointer/planer

I have an old jointer/planer without a dust collection attachment. I'd like to connect the jointer/planer to the dust collector, so I'm looking for ideas for making my own dust collection port.

I've seen that people have built their own dust collection attachment for both jointers and planers, but have not found much for combination machines. The ideal would be an attachment you can move depending on if you're jointing or planing.
    Last edited by Staffan Hamala; 03-13-2014 at 10:01 AM.

It would be nice if you could post some photos of your machine so the experts can get a better idea of the challenge.

Thanks. I'll take some photos later today.

Plastic,wood or gage metal for your system parts?

I have an old Makita (6" jointer, 12" planer) combo (almoast all my stationary tools are 30 to 40 yrs old and predate dust collection ports). I ran a 6" main above the machine and wyed it to 6" & 4" with blast gates. The 6" connection to the planner I refabed a heat duct vent, the 4" to the jointer I bogused a sheet metal cover for. both work really well (approx 90% collection) and switching between functions takes seconds, close one gate and open the other). I used flex connectors to facilitate mobility.photo 1.JPGphoto 4.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

The machine looks like this:
    hm0soloA1.JPG

I found some pictures on the Internet of how the dust extraction attachment should look:

hm0solo1.JPGhm0solo4.JPG

After I found those, I had an idea of how it should look. I bought a metal extraction port that fits my dust extractor, similar to this one:
    Attac.jpg

Then I made a drawing in Sketchup. This is what it might look like if made in plywood:
    dustextr3.jpg
    dustextr2.jpg
    dustextr1.jpg
    Last edited by Staffan Hamala; 03-18-2014 at 8:48 AM.