Thread: Vortex bowl

Vortex bowl

I called it Vortex only because Dizzy and Twisted were taken. I thought of calling it "the flush", but it sounded a bit rude.

Both Tom Lohman and Denny Edwards were very generous is answering my questions and providing advice. Denny's video was key in understanding how these are put together.

This one is made from shop scraps of maple, oak, mahogany and purple heart. Clearly, it could use some walnut or another dark wood for contrast.

There are 24 rings, each just under 3/16" thick. The overall size is 8.5" in diameter and 4.75" tall. The finish is a couple or three coats of lacquer based sanding sealer and as much pre-cat lacquer as was left in the rattle can.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

it's a lot of work to make these, but I think yours turned out very well. congratulations!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I think the 3/16 is a better thickness than what I had. Very nice. You could have called it "better dizzy bowl"
    Bob

Very nice. I've had one of these on my radar to do. Just don't really know where to begin.

Tks, everyone.

Bob: That's very nice of you, but I don't look on it as "better", merely different. I cut the rings to 1/4, then planed them down to somewhere between 1/8 and 3/16. By the time I sanded them again on the bowl, they were likely closer to 1/8. When you turn them on the angle, of course, you end up with a larger visible cross section. I wouldn't mind trying to go a bit thinner, but my planer was close to tearing them apart as it was.

John: Watch Denny Edwards' video and you'll get a step by step instruction, then it's just time watching glue dry.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON