Thread: How to inlay a butterfly on a bowl crack

How to inlay a butterfly on a bowl crack

I would like to inlay a butterfly for decoration and for strength across a bowl crack. I've done this on flat stock but not a bowl. Does the butterfly go all the way through or just part way? How do you cut the recess for the butterfly?

thanks,
    Greg

I can only answer for flatwork. Last year I was able to visit the George Nakashima studio and was happy to talk to his son. They make the butterfly to go about 1/3rd of the depth of the table.

I am not sure how you would do this for a bowl. I think you may need to cut out the butterfly shape by hand. This is what the Nakashima studio does for their tables.

This will look good, but it will take a lot of time and effort.

Kelly Dunn of Hawaii uses butterfly's on some of his work. Check out his website. http://www.kellydunnwoodturner.com/i...=111&Itemid=38
    He has proven to be most helpful to other turners, bet if you contacted him you will get some help.

Making the butterfly go part way through is less easier if you have a thick bowl. I make the butterfly first from flat stock and scribe around it, then use a trim router to remove the bulk and chisels to trim the recess.

check the video KCWTParkerNicholson1

-george.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. This is just an experimental piece so I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by George Mathew View Post
    check the video KCWTParkerNicholson1

-george.
    I am going to try that method, it looks quite a bit quicker than what I have been doing.

Rock Creek, Ohio. It's alittle town in the NE part of the state, not far from Lake Erie.
    Kelly also wrote an article for Woodturning Design on how to make the traditional pewa (butterfly) patches for bowls. Issue #3, Fall, 2004.

I got an inlay kit from Dane Fuller... Acrylic template for use with trim router and precut bow ties that he cuts on his laser. There's an outfit in Hawaii that sells the same type of thing, but Dane's were a bit cheaper. I'm not sure how often he checks the site here, but you could email him.

This tread just might get me a trim router as a birthday present from myself. I have several applications for the bow ties. I had forgotten that there patches available in HI and that would get some unique wood for a dramatic effect. I am also considering making my own template to have a little different figure to make it look more hand made, but that is after learning the basics.