Thread: Shenhui SH-G1290 Not Cutting Square

Shenhui SH-G1290 Not Cutting Square

I'm getting my Shenhui SH-G1290 set up, finally got the mirrors aligned but now it won't cut square - see pic.

It's off by approximately 0.031" over a 6.125" (or .8mm over 155.6mm for the rest of the world).

I emailed Shenhui & they said that the rails are out of square. Their solution is to loosen one side of the Y-axis belt, push the rail a little then re-tighten the belt.

I've checked my rail alignment & they are only off by less than 0.125" (3 mm) over 48" (1,219mm). Taking my measured misalignment from the cut piece & extrapolating, the rails are out of alignment by 0.24" (6.1mm) over 48" (1,219mm).

Isn't there a way to correct for this in the controller setup?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shenhui SH-G1290 w/80 Watt Reci

Could be a rail out misaligned to the other rail, which would skew Y-axis travel, could be the Y-axis belt alignment, which would skew X-axis travel...

Could be a little of both.

Try this test: cut something cheap (paper, cardboard) in a 10" square, measure it for square, and measure the distance from corner to corner on all four sides.

This is exaggerated, but- if your square comes out like this:

That's an indication one of the rails is misaligned---

If it looks like this

this indicates the gantry isn't square to the rails, and the Y-axis belts/drive shaft need to be adjusted to square things up...

<edit> And your alignment being out less than .125" across 48", you want to bring that to zero, or it'll never cut square...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 03-14-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Looker View Post

I've checked my rail alignment & they are only off by less than 0.125" (3 mm) over 48" (1,219mm).
    How did you measure this? Are you measuring the parallel-ness of the Y rails or the location of each end of the gantry on the rails, or something else?

Isn't there a way to correct for this in the controller setup?

Thanks in advance.
    No.

My laser came with it very much out of alignment. I loosened one side of the torque tube on the Y axis and adjusted accordingly. It took several iterations to get it dialed in.

Additionally, the two Y rails did not lie on the same plane. It was necessary to shim up the far end of the left rail in order to fix it.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I should correct my terminology.

I was referring to the "gantry" being square with the LH rail - it is within 1/8" of square over 48". I made a big 36" X 48" carpenters square & checked it against another square along with checking the trig & it's pretty accurate, off by less than 1/16". I put the 36" leg against the LH rail & the 48" leg below the gantry.

It's cutting like the second illustration - a parallelogram.

I have not checked the Y-rails for parallel. I assumed the gantry would bind if they weren't parallel.

Thanks again!
    Shenhui SH-G1290 w/80 Watt Reci

Make sure you are checking the PMI's Kev or you will be chasing your tail.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

What are PMI's?

sorry Kev....guide rails, sometimes they aren't mounted level on the gantry so measuring from the gantry will give an incorrect figure.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !