Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly 17" bandsaw vs. 14" with riser block

Grizzly 17" bandsaw vs. 14" with riser block

I'd like to get a little advice here, please. I'm considering getting a bandsaw and have been looking at the G0513ANV 17" 2 HP Bandsaw, Anniversary Edition but I'm wondering if I really need a saw that big. I primarily want to cut bowl blanks but I'd like to be able to resaw a fairly large sized log (I just got a bunch of large pieces of green hickory I need to resaw) -- I think the 6" limit of a 14" saw without a riser would be restrictive. I suppose I could get the G0555LANV 14" Deluxe Bandsaw - Anniversary Edition with a riser block. The 17" seems to be priced pretty reasonably. Does anybody have any experience with either of the two options? I'll look forward to reading your comments.

Thanks!
    Rob Miller
    Scottsdale

Rob,

I don't have any experience with either of your options - but I was considering the 17" Grizzly last year - instead, I ended up with the Rikon 10-325 - about the same price when on sale. It is a 14 " throat, but 13" resaw capacity. I haven't done any true resawing with it yet, primarily just cutting bowl blanks - and it does fine for that. No problems with it so far. The Grizzly has 2 hp vs 1 1/2 for the Rikon, and is slightly heavier - main reason I went with the Rikon was that I knew a number of people who had and were happy with the Rikon. I believe a number of people on this forum have the Extreme models from the Grizzly line - perhaps they'll chime in.

Tim

Rob I have the 17" Griz with a foot brake. Had it for a couple years and am well satisfied with it. With a good blade it does a nice job. I cut mostly wood turning blanks but also use it instead of the table saw for a lot of things. Mine has 12" cutting capacity which covers most of my blanks. I like the foot brake as it runs very quiet and smooth and it is easy to forget it is running. It will run half way to town if I don't use the brake. No experience with the smaller BS and risers
    Fred

14 will do it.
    17 will do it easier.

if you can afford the bigger saw, get that. In fact, get the biggest, massiest saw you can afford. You wont regret it. Large resaws and thick green bowl blanks made my 14 feel a little tippy and vibratey. The same ops feel more stable on my current 19.

I have a 14 with a riser. Grizzly Go555, does ok. I use it for furniture & turning. If I could buy another & had $$ I think I would get one larger, with a bigger table. Little tables are a real pain with larger work. If you can afford it, a 17+ is great.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Blog Entries
    I think you will find dozens of very happy folks with some version of the G0513 including me. I too vote for the larger saw. Mass, table size, wheel size, throat depth, all of these are advantages for a saw with only a slightly larger footprint than the 14" saw. Don't get me wrong, the 14" saw is the de facto standard in the home shop and with good reason. We just have many more options today than the time when that 'standard' emerged. As Prashun points out, the bandsaw is one of those tools where raw size and power really pay off. I love my 17" saw but would like one larger and more powerful.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

7. I have the Grizzly G0555LX with riser block, which gives me basically 12" height capacity........for a 14" saw, it does a really terrific job. I also have a Jet 18" saw......it does a great job as well. If I could go back and do it over, I would like my Jet 18" saw to have more height capacity. As configured the 12" resaw [height] capacity I have found lacking at times when I needed to cut bigger material. The extra power on the 18" saw really helps in tough wood or large blanks...........the correct blade for bowl blanks is extremely important for proper and optimal performance as well!

Grizzly has one 19" saw that has a 19.5" resaw capacity.......model G0701........that would be the one for me! Both my current saws do a fine job. but there have been larger pieces that I could not put on the saw, and had to use a chainsaw to cut it down to size............

This would be my dream bandsaw.............http://www.grizzly.com/products/19-U...-Bandsaw/G0701
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-15-2014 at 10:52 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Rob,
    I have the Griz G0513X2F like Fred and love it. It has cast iron wheels instead of the cast aluminum wheels, but not sure if that makes any difference. Two of the guys in our club have similar saws from other manufacturers and have had problems with the tires coming off and the blades wandering, and both have come to my shop to use my saw and then leaving and wishing that they had bought the Griz. I have used it to resaw some 12" veneer with no problem. Also, like Fred, I use the foot brake after every use, because I don't like to wait for it to spin down before releasing the blade tension. He is correct in that it seems to run forever after turning it off - guess that's an indication of a well balanced saw. My tools keep reminding me that going for the best you can afford seems to be the best choice and I have never regretted it.
    Way south of most everybody...

I have the 0513x2 (the non-identical twin) and love it. It will easily handle anything I put through it, including 8" sopping wet bowl blanks. I haven't tried resawing, or the full 12" capacity, but I don't think it would have a problem with that. The good thing is that it fits in my basemnt shop which has a ceiling lower than 7'. A larger saw probably wouldn't have fit.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I too have the 513X2. It's a fine saw.

In the five years of using it, I've never once wished I had gotten a small saw instead.

Truth be known though - there have been a few time when I've wished it were twice as big!
    Stan

Funny timing on your question... I'm also looking at a new Griz saw.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...andsaw-opinion

let us know what you decide and be sure to post plenty of pictures.

Jon

I have the Jet pro which is a 14" saw with a built in riser. I have resawn 12" oak and walnut on it. I've also used my buddy's Powermatic 18" and it was twice as fast. I didn't have room for a bigger saw, and what I have works, but with unlimited funds and space I'd go bigger in a heartbeat.
    Where did I put that?

Rikon came out with two new 14" saws you might wont to look at them.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
    I'd like to get a little advice here, please. I'm considering getting a bandsaw and have been looking at the G0513ANV 17" 2 HP Bandsaw, Anniversary Edition but I'm wondering if I really need a saw that big. I primarily want to cut bowl blanks but I'd like to be able to resaw a fairly large sized log (I just got a bunch of large pieces of green hickory I need to resaw) -- I think the 6" limit of a 14" saw without a riser would be restrictive. I suppose I could get the G0555LANV 14" Deluxe Bandsaw - Anniversary Edition with a riser block. The 17" seems to be priced pretty reasonably. Does anybody have any experience with either of the two options? I'll look forward to reading your comments.

Thanks!
    Rob Miller
    Scottsdale
    Well, you talked me into it. I pulled the trigger on the 17" Grizzly. Now all I've got to do is find a buyer for my .340 Weatherby so I can pay the bill.

The old rule of buy what you can afford applies here. If you can afford a bigger bandsaw then I'd say get it.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!