Thread: Delta Bandsaw education needed

Delta Bandsaw education needed

Hope you guys are doing well.

I'm interested in getting a bandsaw and while there are plenty of threads on these on this forum I haven't found one that could answer the following question. Sorry if I missed it.

The local craigslist often have older Delta bandsaws listed. What I'm missing is basic model knowledge.

Like is a 28-203 better than some other model etc. I found a web site with manuals but don't see the motor size listed in them. I think a 3/4 hp could be a ok for basic usage. Secondly is a specific vintage more desired. Older iron is more appealing despite I may have to get a 3'rd party fence etc. I may also be interested in models that have gearing due to the hobby side of what I tinker with. Having some recommended model numbers would help me narrow down the choices.

I'd love a 17" bandsaw with resaw etc, but that will be someday where I actually have time to do serious wood working.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

You could go to OWWM-dot-com and ask them - the "old arn" crowd.. Also, their sister site - vintagemachinery-dot-com has a lot of info you can browse through.

Big help for me when I was researching PM 1150VS.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Can't speak regarding specific model numbers, however as a rule of thumb the older the band saw the better. Parts are plentiful for vintage USA made Delta band saws. Someone will chime in about a contact number for Louis Iturra band saw catalog.

From what I understand the Rockwell years (70's, just labeled Rockwell- no Delta badge) have a hit or miss build quality. That said I have a Rockwell one from the, I think, late 70's and it runs/performs just great. Mine has hinged wheel covers. I think I would prefer that to the earlier ones were you had to remove the covers entirely. I've only needed to replace the tires, no biggie.

You'd pay quite a bit more for a dual purpose (metal and wood) band saw. My suspicion is that if you're not cutting very thick metal you could probably do it at the wood cutting speed. But I'm no metal worker.

But go to the site the guys mentioned above read the history about Delta.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

All of the domestic Delta 14" saws are basically the same. 28-2xx are the wood cutting saws and 28-3xx are the wood/metal saws. The different model numbers just indicate age and options. I'm patial to the older saws with the box section upper casting rather than the newer webbed style but that's just me.

The newer ones, (2003 or so and newer) are what most shy away from. I had a 2001 USA model, then sold it when I got a 1966 M/W model.
    Both are excellent saws. 3/4 hp is fine for the 14" saws.

The 2001 model.
    Delta2.jpg

The 1966 M/W model
    0617021124.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Patch View Post
    Someone will chime in about a contact number for Louis Iturra band saw catalog.
    That catalog is a terrific read. Not just as a catalog, but as an analysis and history of bandsaws, with Louis' opinions tossed in for good measure.

He's also a great guy to talk with - ready and willing on any topic you have, related to the classic Delta C-frame design - and all the copycats out there. Good replacement and upgrade parts.

Try this link for info:

http://idvwdesign.blogspot.com/2012/...0-catalog.html
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Thank you for the guidance.

Hi Michael,
    I had similar questions and ended up keeping an eye out on Craigslist for BS at good prices. I now have 2 bandsaws a 1967 and a 1945 isn and they look identical: 1st one I posted on here after a refurbishment: So bought the BS for $140 and put $120 back into it for a new top wheel, new tires, bearings and link belt. Still missing a couple of minor things but overall very satisfied with it. 2nd bandsaw was sitting in a basement forever and in reasonable shape but missing several parts. Got it for $100 and put about $100 back into it similar to previous with new bearings, tires and link belt. Both are solid machines and got them for really decent prices but they did need a little work. The links above are awesome for helping you ID and find parts for these old machines. Some have great histories that make them even more interesting

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...saw&highlight=

enjoy your hunt for old IRON. It is a bit addictive.

Randy...