Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VFD help needed

VFD help needed

Howdy all,

I've never used a vfd. I picked up a late 60's 2hp PM 66 today and need a vfd to run it. Looking at eBay I see 2hp vfd's in both 110 and 220 volts. I never knew a vfd could be run on 110v, or is it too good to be true. It really would be better for me right now to have it run 110v.

Can a vfd run any hp below it's stated rating? Can a 2hp vfd run a half hp motor?

thanks, mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    Howdy all,

I've never used a vfd. I picked up a late 60's 2hp PM 66 today and need a vfd to run it. Looking at eBay I see 2hp vfd's in both 110 and 220 volts. I never knew a vfd could be run on 110v, or is it too good to be true. It really would be better for me right now to have it run 110v.

Can a vfd run any hp below it's stated rating? Can a 2hp vfd run a half hp motor?

thanks, mark
    You haven't said, but is the PM 66 motor 3 phase? If not, it won't work with a VFD. Yes, a VFD will run any 3 phase motor below and equal to its rating. The rating of some, not all VFD's must be de-rated, if powered from 110V.

A standard 15 amp 120V outlet will not supply enough power for a 2HP motor, especially after you add the losses of the VFD. You'd need a higher amperage 120V circuit, but a 240V circuit would be better.

All this assumes that the PM has a 3 phase motor.

Another alternative that might be about the same cost is to see if you can get a 2HP single phase motor for the saw.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Check out the teco models at Factorymation. I have the 3 hp fm50 for my bandsaw for about $200 and it works great.
    I believe the vfd can power any Motor, rated higher or lower hp, but the max it can power is the rated amount. Not sure on that though.

Read the specs close. I doubt you can get a VFD for 110v in and 220v 3ph out for a 2 hp motor. I think you will find that 110v VFDs top out at around 1 hp, at least from what I've found.

John

Thanks for the replies. The saw is 3ph, which is why there is a need for a converter. I guess I'll wait until I get a better service run to my shop before I make any decisions. I have other table saws running so it's not needed at the moment.

I agree that 1 hp is about all you'll do with 110 volts. Check out Dealerselectric.com. I've bought 2 vfd''s from them with the 3 phase motor. Good help and Tech support. I think they're the cheapest for the package.

I have not used them but my understanding is that the cheap VFD's on eBay are not worth the few dollars saved over the ones Matt and Josh have mentioned. For 2HP you really should go with 220v even if you could get it to work on 110v.

Call Wolfe Automation and talk to Scott. He just set me up with a new VFD for my Delta lathe

http://www.wolfautomation.com/
    1800 325 9653.
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    I have not used them but my understanding is that the cheap VFD's on eBay are not worth the few dollars saved over the ones Matt and Josh have mentioned. For 2HP you really should go with 220v even if you could get it to work on 110v.
    I can't comment on Ebay VFDs in general but the Huanyang brand has a good reputation amongst the CNC guys around the world, the only thing it lacks is a rotary speed controller that is an advantage for some applications. I sold a lot of them and have had no failures but went to a different brand due to supply issues at one stage and other advantages that suited the application we were using them for (CV cyclones). They are great on a cyclone due to low power/soft starts (16 amps on 220V maximum draw) and the ability to change the impeller speed.
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 04-11-2014 at 7:36 PM.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    I can't speak to the foreign VFDs on eBay, but the Allen Bradley units that are typically surplus are fine and usually cheaper than new. Manuals are on line so you can find right unit. You need to get the amperage of the motor and along with voltage, you match a vfd to the motor. If it is 15amps at 240 V, you need vfd that outputs that much or more. You CAN, in most cases use one slightly, read maybe an amp or so under the motor need, as the vfds usually output 15% or so over for short time. But I'd go over rated if possible. Good luck!

I wouldn't buy any product on eBay if it is for a business use. There's so much risk involved. The factory warranty/support may not be available. You do not know how long the drive has been sitting on a shelf.

There are lot of manufacturers offering single phase input VFDs now. Take a look at AC Tech's SMVector series. It's made in the US & they have a very reasonable price point.

http://www.ctiautomation.net/Lenze-SMVector-IP31.htm

I deal mostly in industrial VFDs (VSD, ASD) but the ones I use have contacts in the back you can use to turn it on/off using a low power switch.

Get the manual on your VFD and check it out.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

14. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I can't comment on Ebay VFDs in general but the Huanyang brand has a good reputation amongst the CNC guys around the world, the only thing it lacks is a rotary speed controller that is an advantage for some applications. I sold a lot of them and have had no failures but went to a different brand due to supply issues at one stage and other advantages that suited the application we were using them for (CV cyclones). They are great on a cyclone due to low power/soft starts (16 amps on 220V maximum draw) and the ability to change the impeller speed.
    Wow, Huanyang VFDs are the absolute WORST brand on the market in my opinion. I've taken a few apart, they are pure unadulterated junk, ANYTHING would be better than a Huanyang. Many of the FleaBay resellers are now leaving the name off of their listings because the reputation is so bad. I don't know why the CNC guys seem to like them, probably the price. But I tell people to steer clear, it's not worth it if you have to replace it every 3 months, warranty or not (and usually the FleaBay resellers disappears once they sell out their lot). Teco, Hitachi, Lenze / AC Tech are all good brands with low cost options, anything but Huanyang...

How the single phase input on VFDs work is this; ALL VFDs work by converting the AC to DC, then re-converting the DC back into something that looks like AC to a 3 phase motor. On the conversion (rectifier) side, the drive really doesn't know or care if the power is single phase or 3 phase, that's why they are a good way of using 3 phase motors with single phase services. But what DOES matter is the current rating of the components, and the "ripple" on the DC bus created by the rectification. When you rectify single phase, there is a LOT more ripple on the DC bus, which can damage the transistors in the drive that make the output for the motor. So to smooth out that ripple, they use capacitors. For a VFD to be used on single phase, it needs MORE capacitors than one that takes 3 phase; at least twice as much. So that's why you will hear that you can run ANY VFD with a single phase input, by doubling the size. It gives you more capacitance, plus it increases the current rating of the rectifier components as well (because they pull 173% of the motor current, based on the difference between single phase current and 3 phase current being the square root of 3, 1.732).

On the 115V versions they do it a little differently, using a special tricky little "voltage doubler" on the DC circuit. So it takes in 115VAC, rectifies it to 162VDC, then doubles it to 325VDC to feed to the transistors, which produce 230VAC for the motor. But the components to pull that off get really expensive and hot once you go over about 15A. So for that reason, the 115V input versions are always limited to 1HP, because a 1HP 230V motor is rated for 4.2A, but that means it needs 4.2 x 1.732 or 7.27A, x 2 (because it's 115V) = 14.54A. Technically, you can't run 14.5A from a 15A wall socket outlet continuously, but that is defined as 3 hours or more, so the concession is that if you were going to fully load a motor for 3 hours or more, you would not be using a VFD, so it's allowed. BUT NO LARGER THAN 1HP.

By the way, be careful with old used VFDs on FleaBay as well. If they have been sitting on a shelf for more than a year, you need special care to "reform" the capacitors before fully energizing them, otherwise you can burn them out and fry the whole drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Raefield View Post
    By the way, be careful with old used VFDs on FleaBay as well. If they have been sitting on a shelf for more than a year, you need special care to "reform" the capacitors before fully energizing them, otherwise you can burn them out and fry the whole drive.
    That's a bit overly conservative. Decent electrolytics can sit on the shelf for at least 5 years before any kind of leakage starts. If the unit contains cheap caps, then they should be upgraded, anyway, the same way many folks upgrade computer LCD's. If the unit is more than 5 years old, I wouldn't use the original caps even if brought up on a variac, I'd just replace them.

- But it's somewhat moot. The price of VFD's has come down so much in recent years, used ones typically sell for more than the current new TECO's & such.