Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFD help needed

Blog Entries
    Wow, first post Rant! BTW, I own two used Allen Bradley vfds that I obtained off eBay and they have worked perfectly for several years now. The one I bought new, a teco, died after 14 months, cap crapped out and burned out board. So your take is quite wrong from my point of view. And reforming just means plugging in for a few hours bf using after storage. Can't speak of the Chinese brand....as always, buyer beware.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Don't mean to be rude, or argue, but reforming is NOT plugging in for a few hours bf using after storage. That can cause the cap to rupture.

Reforming is done by slowly bringing up the voltage, preferably with the cap out of the circuit, and a power resistor inline circuit. I suppose MAYBE in a 1-ph motor, those caps don't see full voltage until you turn the motor on (I have no idea0 but that still would be a fast inrush of current, which could rupture an old cap. Actual reforming is always recommended. (Or again, just replace them when they get old.)

------------

As for AB stuff, I'm sure you are correct that it is better made than any current import stuff, so I suppose it's worth considering. At the same time, yours is literally the first report I've seen (and I've been researching this for a few years, off & on) about a TECO going bad prematurely. The company seems to have a pretty good reputation.

One thing that can damage any VFD is trying to dynamically brake a motor which is at the VFD's rated limit, without extra resistors. From what I've read, it's a very good idea to add extras, or buy the optonal braking module if available. Perhaps this is one of the places that AB units are built better.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 07-01-2015 at 5:09 PM.

Look at Yaskawa drives. You can buy them at fairly reasonable costs if you are comparing them to AB drives they are about 3/4 the cost. We use both in industrial environments and the Yaskawa drives have proven to be more reliable.

I'm currently running my Uni. off of a TECO FM50. The saw has a 3hp/3ph motor. The vfd is being powered from 220v single phase. No real evidence of power loss to the saw.

Just my .02 cents.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Burk View Post
    I'm currently running my Uni. off of a TECO FM50. The saw has a 3hp/3ph motor. The vfd is being powered from 220v single phase. No real evidence of power loss to the saw.

Just my .02 cents.

Bob

Bob, I'm considering getting a few TECO's, as the price is excellent and they are sold by several very reputable USA dealers. - But surely they are made in China or similar. Can you say anything as to the quality of the components, and basic build quality? (solder joints, etc.)

I run a fm50 on my 12" jointer. Have since 2006 and it has been fine. No solder joints have failed but it is mounted right side up. J/k.

If I bought one today for the jointer i would buy a wj200 hitachi as the braking module is built in. I use a wj200 on my cnc knee mill and it is great. I like being able to use a remote panel and have a programming interface simultaneously.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks, Mike.

If you do a 3hp wj200 and resistor for breaking let me know and i can get some details on the setup.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.