Thread: From the master that brought you the kneehole desk

From the master that brought you the kneehole desk

Well, at least from his classroom anyway. This is a simple step stool, I created while attending a handtool class taught by Alan Turner a few months ago. This was my first experience creating a project with 90% handtools. This represents: 1st handcut dovetails, first handcut mortise and tenons, first wedge tenons, and first time using shellac.
    It is made completely of cherry, with 1 coat of tung oil (dried for 10 days due to humidity in the northeast) and 2 coats of shellac.

Mike Keating
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike,

It looks fabulous!! Those that can hand cut dovetails really do have a great skill. Heck I don't even machine cut dovetails yet

Great job, glad you had fun with it!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I assume the legs are perpendicular to the seat? I think it just may be the photography giving it a slight taper. Congrats and a great piece to get started with!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Fun Project....functional and detailed...nice start.

Jon

Mike....Alan's going to smile. Neat first project!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

After the wonderful desk, I was almost afraid of the envy and depression I was going to suffer seeing more of Alan's work.

Great job Mike! I envy your being able to study under Alan, even if it was for only a short time. And a very nice job on that stool.
    Someone said the real test of a craftsman is his ability to recover from his mistakes. I'm practicing real hard for that test.

Ken,
    You are correct, I am smiling. Mike was an enthusiastic and skilled student who is quite adept at power tools, but just needed a bit of a neander nudge.

Nice work Mike, and you should be proud of this, your first DT project. Next up? Perhaps a bureau so you can really get some practice on those DT's. They are a lot easier to do after the shock of the first set. Your post is the reason that I enjoy teaching.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Well done, Mike! Man, that is indeed a LOT of handwork, especially for an electron-burning kind of guy! Hand cut DT's are on my list of "need to learn" and I can only hope they come out nearly as nice as yours! Good job and Alan, you're obviously as skilled at teaching as you are a functional WW!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Super work Mike, first class dove tails. Alan, do you except dummys from Texas as students? You are obviousely as adept at teaching as you are woodworking.

Brian

Mike - good looking work my man!! I think we're all proud too That had to be a blast learning from Alan - He is definately a master!!!

Keep it up - good stuff!!!

Hello all,

Oh yes, working with Alan was a real treat and a good time was had by all. He is very enthusiastic about teaching and we were all happy to learn. To clear up one question that has come out, the legs are tapered (ie: the sides are a shape over 3/8 inch thick and the middle is 3/4 inch thick). The bevel is about 2 and 1/2 inches. I should have cut the dovetails before making the bevel, but I didn't and probably made the project alot harder than needbe. . . oh well, story of my life.

Mike Keating

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Buckley
    Super work Mike, first class dove tails. Alan, do you except dummys from Texas as students? You are obviousely as adept at teaching as you are woodworking.

Brian
    Lol, a little play on words there, Brian? Mixing up "except" and "accept" is always interesting because they have the exact opposite meanings...at least in the context you have used the word!

"I excepted the job." means I did not take the job.
    "I accepted the job." means I did take the job.

Sorry, just having a little fun with you....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.