Thread: What Hollowing sytem do you reccommend ?

What Hollowing sytem do you reccommend ?

What type or brand of Deep Hollowing system is the best and or easiest to use ?

if you want to wait awhile for the best
    check into the kobra system
    imho

Clarence, what do you consider "deep hollowing"?
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Clarence, what do you consider "deep hollowing"?
    Just need something to hollow out a chunk of wood about 15 inches in diameter and about 12 inches deep.

Ah, OK. For that size you can use one of the heavier articulated systems (Gizmo or Kobra or Trout's when he gets in full production) or use a captured system (Jameson, Monster, Carter, home built versions) With the exception of the Carter, the captured systems will be considerable less money.

As far best, I favor the articulated setups because of the smoothness/fluid movements in all directions. It feels closer to hand hollowing for my style. There are limitations with articulated style systems on the practical depth limitations, but 12" is not one of those for the larger systems and larger boring bars.

Easiest is another personal preference. Both work well and I would advise you to reach out to a club to get a hands on demonstration of the various units or attend a symposium to touch them all.
    -------
    -------

I like the captured system from Advance Lathe Tools. I've hollowed several hundred vessels using this system. There a several size's available to suit varying Lathes and how deep you want to hollow. I've hollowed up to 31" deep with his largest boring bar. There heavy duty and all hand made here in the USA by Steve Sinner. It's not a inexpensive system but If you want to do real deep hollowing & plan to use it for many years & hollow many vessels it's a very fast & effecient system when used with the Rolly Munro cutter head.

I'm glad you chimed in Joe. I forgot about Steve Sinner's system. It's a very heavy duty deal!
    -------
    -------

I don't have any experience with any of these systems, but if I were in the market, I would probably go with the Keith Clark hollowing system.

I use a homemade version of the Jameison system. Requires rudimentary welding skills (mine equate to that of an inept monkey and were sufficient) and about $60.00 in parts including laser. Works as well as a buddy's real Jameison.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Has anyone built one with Robo Hippie's plans?

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Blog Entries
    2x2 solid with a 1" hole 12" deep , 10 or 12 ' long ,sliding on a Teflon guide .

Kerry at Harrison Specialty Tools has just an articulated hollowing system. Saw a prototype and it looked interesting and seemed to be well constructed. I have his vacuum chuck and have been impressed with the quality of his work.
    http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/s...-turning-tool/

He has some pictures on this site.