Thread: spalted maple

spalted maple

Hello Hope everyone is doing well. My question today is what would a piece of spalted maple roughly 6" square by about 4 feet be worth. I have not seen the piece yet a friend of mine was telling about it. said the guy told him to make him an offer. So assuming it is not punky yet what would be a fair price? thanks for any responses
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

6 inch square is more hollow form blanks, offer 2 hf......good size for salad bowls but do not think spalted wood for salad bowls....just mho

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    In my neighborhood you could swap it for a beer; but then, that's Puget Sound.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I agree with Charlie, two hf's is more than enuf, too bad it is not, larger like 12x12 " , as spalted does not make good bowl material ... it keeps rotting under the finish somewhat.
    John 3:16

Great sizes for 3-4 vases/weed pots or lidded boxes. I have to disagree with the long term rotting comment. If the wood is nearly dry when finished you should have no problem.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    I almost always stabilize the punky spatted areas with CA, so continued rot is bot a problem and turning is easier.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Depends on the condition of the wood. Spalted wood can be very solid with no sign of rotting or it can be so punky that it's worthless or somewhere in between. I wouldn't make an offer without seeing the wood.