Thread: Wood used in cheap furniture

Wood used in cheap furniture

I'm reclaiming the wood from a desk I found. The wood looks like some type of Ipe or Brazil Cherry? Anyone know what kind of wood that's used in making cheap furniture that's found in the discount stores? It seems to have a very tight grain pattern, very dense. NOTE: it's wood and NOT some type of mdf that's been covered. Thanks Lewis

Poplar is cheap and can be stained to look like cherry, with similar looking grain as long as the poplar starts out with a consistent color. Very common. Hard to say on your piece though. Upload a photo.

Rubberwood (or sometimes called parawood) is often used with cheap import furniture.

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-...ds/rubberwood/

Thanks guys for the replies, Jay, it's rubberwood [parawood]. Looks just like the pic you posted. Looks like it would be good to make a box or two, perhaps even a bandsaw box. It's free!

That wood database website is a great resource. Thanks for posting it. I always enjoy learning something new.

Blog Entries
    Ipe is extremely dense, so dense it will not float.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Park View Post
    Rubberwood (or sometimes called parawood) is often used with cheap import furniture.

wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/rubberwood/
    WARNING: This page (one of its ads, most likely) is tagged as having malware associated with it. I looked into it, and yep, it's bad stuff from a Russian site. Think twice before going there, and if you do, make sure your AV software is up to date.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks for the info. I've always wondered what that was. I have a child's table and chair set as well as a folding "TV" table set, both made out of this stuff. Both are from Target, which seems to have a lot of similar-looking wood pieces. Glad to hear its probably sustainably harvested.