Thread: Crystalac Shelf Life?

Crystalac Shelf Life?

I've had this product for several years, but have never used it. I have the "clear" version. On a walnut top that has very shallow dips (unmeasurable), the product stays a dull white after drying. I guess I'm expecting the product to dry clear, but it doesn't seem that way.

Does it really never dry "clear"? Or maybe this product have a shelf life that is not indicated on the container...

Thanks.

Crystalac should dry to a clear finish after the second or third coat. The first and maybe second coat will be absorbed and therefor little film will be formed. It's only when you have put on enough coats to seal the surface that the finish will dry clear.
    Howie.........

I;ve used several year old opened containers with no ill results. Always test it on scrap first.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I tried finding a Crystalac contact number, with zero luck. The local Rockler store suggested the product is bad. Always stored inside the house (never in the cold). Applied in 60+ degrees.

Here is a pic of the container contents compared against a white piece of paper:

20140319_153310.jpg

Here are 2 pics with the product applied. The 1st is 1 coat of grain filler over a varnish washcoat, no sanding, 2 days old:20140319_153208.jpg

this pic is with a 2nd application, 1st coat sanded, varnish washcoat. The product looks light blue when wet, the edges where dry is white:
    20140319_153214.jpg

If it weren't for this product costing $32, I would have bought another container, but why spend that money of the product isn't bad?

My project is on hold till I figure this out, or try and find another grain filler (maybe oil based), but Rockler only carried the same Crystalac!

What does it look like with a coat or two of finish on it?

Mike,
    Please explain what you mean when you say a varnish washcoat. What brand, etc. is the varnish.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Fiore View Post
    What does it look like with a coat or two of finish on it?
    The area of Crystalac stayed white. In this pic you can see where the piece is not entirely flat, where I didn't sand down enough. This was with 1 coat of varnish directly over the grain filler:

20140320_161343.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Mike,
    Please explain what you mean when you say a varnish washcoat. What brand, etc. is the varnish.
    I made my washcoat from 1/3 minwax poly and 2/3 min spirits. Here is a pic of the test piece with 2 coats of Crystalac, having let dry for 1 day:
    20140320_161415.jpg

When I sanded back to remove the filler to start over, I noticed that very few of the pores are filled, and the ones that are, are white.

I seriously can't think of any other explanation than this product is old.

Mike

What are the stripes going across the grain? Is the board smooth and FLAT?
    Scott

Might as well go right to the source and ask the maker:

Becker Laboratories6205 HWY. 91 NorthMountain City, TN. 37683Phone/Fax (423) 727-6425Or e-mail us at: Thecrystalaccompany@yahoo.com
    That's from their website -
    http: slash slash crabcoat.net
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Shields View Post
    I've had this product for several years, but have never used it. I have the "clear" version. On a walnut top that has very shallow dips (unmeasurable), the product stays a dull white after drying. I guess I'm expecting the product to dry clear, but it doesn't seem that way.

Does it really never dry "clear"? Or maybe this product have a shelf life that is not indicated on the container...

Thanks.
    Manufacturer told me the product is bad. They are sending me another container.