Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And you thought you had everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    ...I'm sure there are NYC designers with clients that don't really care how much it costs.
    This ^^^

I have a friend who was a metal and wood sculptor/furniture maker in NYC during the 90's and that pretty much sums it up right there. He could ask whatever he wanted.

Also, not to make to case for this particular artist but for those of us who are saying to ourselves, "Heck, I could knock that out on a lathe, no problem...", the design of those stools I'll bet is a lot more challenging to execute if you don't have the robot. Because of the feet. The main body profile? Sure, no problem. Three offset, symmetrical feet though...

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    As I have to remind people on craigslist when they point to other overpriced items--sure, that's what they are *asking*.

Then again, I'm sure there are NYC designers with clients that don't really care how much it costs.
    These products are very"green". After all they're made by recycled robots that would have been killed if they weren't saved by this company. Thus the premium price.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

3. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for one of those stools and about the 4th time I bashed a shin on the thing it would get heaved onto the burn pile.

I would submit that for pretty much any given job, almost every one outside thinks people in that job are overpaid : Doctors, lawyers, politicians, bankers, athletes, singers, actors, businessmen, plumbers, mechanics, electricians, bus drivers, civil servants, etc.

If this work is that out-of-line expensive - then why aren't we all making that stuff and selling it ?

I know I think I am grossly underpaid, yet my neighbours don't.

Blog Entries
    My first thought, before I saw the price, was of using a sledgehammer to drive 10 penny nails.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    This ^^^

I have a friend who was a metal and wood sculptor/furniture maker in NYC during the 90's and that pretty much sums it up right there. He could ask whatever he wanted.

Also, not to make to case for this particular artist but for those of us who are saying to ourselves, "Heck, I could knock that out on a lathe, no problem...", the design of those stools I'll bet is a lot more challenging to execute if you don't have the robot. Because of the feet. The main body profile? Sure, no problem. Three offset, symmetrical feet though...

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    I think the feet could be very easy made with a duplicarver. If I were making them I would first turn the body on the lathe. Then turn one foot on the lathe from a separate piece. Then use a duplicarver to make two more legs. Then attach the legs with glue. The first stool with the legs glued on would be used as a pattern to make the next one out of a single piece of wood using a lathe and duplicarver.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Usually turning feet like that requires offset turning. To turn a log that size offset is going to require one heck of a lathe.... From what the website says their material cost is $0 because it comes from a friend that is an arborist. Logs just headed for the chipper. I wonder if he knows what they are turning around his free wood for...
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Hmm. I think I can turn those out for $2500 per...
    Turn......heck, I'll carve it by hand with a recycle spoon, while sitting on a reused bucket, wearing my salvation army clothes for far less than $2500.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    I think the feet could be very easy made with a duplicarver. If I were making them I would first turn the body on the lathe. Then turn one foot on the lathe from a separate piece. Then use a duplicarver to make two more legs. Then attach the legs with glue. The first stool with the legs glued on would be used as a pattern to make the next one out of a single piece of wood using a lathe and duplicarver.
    You know, after I made that post, that very idea occurred to me. It's a great idea. More practical than contouring it as a single unit.

I suspect that part of the marketing plan of the mfr. is probably, "Your piece is made by a reclaimed robot". "It was easy. I just glued the feet on", does not sound as hip, LOL.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Have you seen this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I'm just wondering why they don't make something that is attractive and useful with that nice robot instead of just a trip hazard.

A friend of mine manufactured robots for the auto industry, and that is a waste of a robots strengths. I was thinking of something a bit more complex. I watched as he set up a machine for Motor Wheel that would machine out aluminum wheels from cast blanks in just a few minutes and was thinking it would be something more along those lines. Something hard to duplicate.

I love the machine in Jim's post!

Larry