Thread: 1 week doctor visit

1 week doctor visit

Last Monday, talked with my Doc about some dizziness.
    Last Thursday, had my pacemaker checked.
    Same day, was taken to U0fM hospital in A2.
    Got home today with a new Life Vest DE-fibrulator strapped on like a bra.

Not A-fib this time, but V-fib. The REAL killer.
    Getting a new pacemaker/defib unit May 1.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Take care of yourself. I endured something similar in Jan, only mine was my head.
    Paul

Yeah, take care, glad they are still making parts for your model. Must be a good one!

Blog Entries
    Take care man, and thank God for modern technology. I read somewhere that at the exponential rate the medical folks are solving problems, if we can hang on another 30 years we could double our lifespan.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Last Monday, talked with my Doc about some dizziness.
    Last Thursday, had my pacemaker checked.
    Same day, was taken to U0fM hospital in A2.
    Got home today with a new Life Vest DE-fibrulator strapped on like a bra.

Not A-fib this time, but V-fib. The REAL killer.
    Getting a new pacemaker/defib unit May 1.
    Yeah, v-fib is full-on cardiac arrest, right? Your heart is no longer pumping during v-fib, I think.

Ugh.

Good luck w/ the new pacemaker. You will be in my prayers.

Blog Entries
    I hope it works well for you Myk.

Take care of yourself.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Yeah, v-fib is full-on cardiac arrest, right? Your heart is no longer pumping during v-fib, I think.
    Almost. It's still beating/pumping, but not very well. The lower chambers are beating very fast, and out of sync with the atrial chambers. The same thing happens with A-fib, but it's the upper chambers beating fast. I had that, and meds and a MAZE procedure treat/ed it.
    So, if you feel like you have a muscle twitch in your chest, get it checked out. It's a muscle twitch alright, but not the kind you want.
    I've had a pacemaker since 2009, but they'll be giving me a defib unit May 1.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Glad you're ok Mike, sounds scary.

So how does the vest work? Do you need to wear it at night (assume so). Is it possible (comfortable) to sleep while wearing it? Maybe you sleep in a recliner or something? Does it work automatically, or are there buttons on it? Are there electrodes attached to your chest from the vest 24x7? If you wear it into an airport will they imagine you're a terrorist?

There are 3 electrode pads. 2 in back, 1 in the left front. 4 sensors arrayed around the chest strap. And a connection/vibrator hockey puck right in the middle of your back. That's the uncomfortable part.
    Wear it 24/7, and it isn't hard to sleep in, in bed. It's plugged into a fairly weighty control box you sling over your shoulder.
    If it detects something it doesn't like, it vibrates the back, then sounds an alarm. Press 2 buttons at the same time to cancel it. If you're unconscious you won't be pressing them, so it'll release a gel from the electrodes, and zap your arse.
    We have a trip coming up with 3 flights involved. I'm going to call TSA and let them know of our travel plans.
    Yeah, it could be mistaken as a bomb vest, very easily.
    http://lifevest.zoll.com/medical-pro...t-overview.asp